Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

"I. Can't. Tell. You."

"Why?" I shouted, trying to get up in his face. I wanted him to be bothered. He might accidentally tip me off. "Why can't you?"

He released his iron-like grip and allowed me to sit up. He walked away from me and yanked his jeans from the top of his cupboard. He disappeared into his adjacant bathroom and appeared moments later. He threw on a t-shirt and stared at me. I met his gaze, standing, reaching my full height. Not that that made much of a difference, I barely came to Luke's shoulders. Similiar to Jason, actually. 

"You know what, I'll do better than tell you." He said, closing the distance between us, making me take a few steps back. "I'll show you."

-----------------------------

"Where are you two going?" Dad asked curiously as I trailed behind Luke. He bit off a chunk of toast and lazily flicked through a few more pages of the newspaper. I looked at Luke expectantly, awaiting for him to answer, seeings as I was unsure of where exactly we were going. He refused to tell me. Stubborn brat.

"For a run," he replied breezily. It almost scared me how easily he could lie. It made me think how much he has lied to me over the years. Maybe I don't even know him at all.

Dad choked on his toast and thumped his chest. His eyes widened as he gawked at me. After he had recovered, his smirked at me, amusement clear in his eyes. "Emma? You're going for a run?"

"Shut up," I muttered, ducking my head, glueing my eyes to the floor. I can't look people in the eyes when I lie. I crumble way too easily. "I can run."

"Last time you vowed to never go with him again."

"Well..." I trailed off awkwardly, hating the fact that I was lying to him. I was always a terrible liar. Except that fluke of a time in the hospital with Mark. I still do not know how I pulled that off. I'm quite proud, actually. "I thought I'd test it out again. I'm feeling fitter this time."

He snorted. "Good luck then."

I pursed my lips at him. "Thank you for your support."

He rolled his eyes. "Anytime."

I grabbed an apple from the counter fruit bowl. I glanced down, hoping my clothing choice was appropriate. I was just wearing a turquoise knit-jumper and some light coloured jeans. I had my snug, grey boots on. My hair was twisting down my back in curls and I didn't bother applying make-up on. I reached for my black coat and hung it lazily over my lower arm. I planted a kiss on Dad's cheek before departing.

"I'm going to walk to John's place and get his car. He said I can use it whenever I want." Luke explained and began to walk in the opposite direction to which I had planned. I hadn't even thought about transportation, seeings as Luke's car was, 'getting fixed'.

"Okay. Can I go to Mel's while I wait?" I asked.

"Sure."

I took off without another word and found myself at Mel's door in mere minutes. With no knock neccessary, I stepped inside, suddenly engulfed with warmth. I shrugged off my coat and slipped out of my boots. I placed them by the front door and wound up the stairs. I gently knocked before opening the door. She was lying in her bed, scrolling on her phone. I settled down beside her.

"Hello," she said absently. "Facebook fight."

"Ooh!" I said, my ears perking up. "Between?"

"Rose and Jamie."

"Excellent," I grinned, sidling closer for a better look.

It was horrible that I enjoyed fueds between the 'It' crowds, but hey. I wasn't purely good. We silently read the one hundred and thirty comments. I couldn't help giggle and roll my eyes numerous times. Girls fought over the most ridiculous things. It was rather amusing, I must say.