39.

39. Let the Games Begin (Season 3, Episode 8)

We've seen Emily's manipulative side, but this is the first episode to show us that Richard has a manipulative side of his own. He knows that Rory would take the meeting at Yale if he simply asks, but he also knows that Lorelai would never approve, so he lies to everyone (including his wife, further proof of how much their relationship has changed) and blindsides Rory, forcing her to go unprepared into a meeting that he knows she would want to take very seriously. It's difficult to watch the family fight so much, with everyone mad at Richard by the end of the episode, but it makes sense that Richard would fight to send his granddaughter to his alma mater and further develops his character as a loving, but often times misguided, father and grandfather. It also proves that, even in the midst of their fighting and growing apart, Richard and Emily are more alike than we originally thought. It is also the official beginning of Jess and Rory, a milestone for both characters and a development that many fans were waiting for for some time. But in yet another selfish moment, Rory leaves Jess in the middle of their getting together to go apologize to Dean. It's nice to finally see Rory thinking about other people's feelings, but she has to know that this is not the time and that right now, Dean is not ready to accept Rory's apology. What Dean needs more than anything at that moment is space, and what Jess needs is for her to stay and prove that she is invested in the relationship. Rory is too selfish to see either perspective and focuses only on herself, as per usual.

High points: Family drama, Emily and Richard's proposal story, Jess and Rory's first kiss, kid code

Low points: Rory is so selfish! Richard is so manipulative!

Best quote: "Would you like me to have you committed or would you rather just check yourself in?"- Jess