• 21 •

- Anna's POV -

The water envelopes me into its presence as I sink further. My heart is hammering so wildly in my chest that I'm afraid it's trying to jackhammer its way out. The texture of the pool around me is soft, and I can feel the bubbles tickling my arms as they float to the top due to the oxygen I'm releasing into the hydrogen.

I gain enough courage to open my eyes, and it hurts for a little moment before I adjust. The water is insanely clear, and I can see the city below me as I go further and further to the bottom. It has to be nine feet and four inches deep.

Eventually I sink down enough to where my feet touch the glass, and I stop releasing my breath. My hair floats around above and around me softly. My arms are outstretched a little, and my feet are just gently kissing the glass. The cars below look like itty-bitty rushing ants, but I can't hear anything. Underwater, there's complete silence, and I'm cut off from the world. I like it.

Slowly, I calm myself and my heartbeat begins to slow. Although, I feel my neck straining to take in air. So I don't know if my heart slowing is the best reaction to the situation.

Still, I'm stuck glued in my floating position as I stare at the world that has seemed to place a crystal blue shade over itself. It's peaceful here. I watch chaos ensue underneath me, but I can't hear it. It's a calm chaos.

I take in one last look at the beauty underneath pool water before pushing off the glass with my legs as hard as I can. I really really am starting to want to pass out now, but I hold on, swimming as fast as I can to the top.

When I surface, I take in this ginormous breath and cough a bit. Aiden is just smirking, arms crossed. I take both of my hands and run them over my face. Over my hair that'd turned into a brown instead of my natural dirty blond color.

"It's cool, huh?" Aiden asks me, swimming closer to me.

I let out a laugh in surprise. I actually just went to the bottom of the pool and looked downward onto a city that - if the glass were broken - could possibly lead to my death. I'd though I'd experienced adrenaline. All of it. But I was wrong. I never have experienced this kind before. The good kind.

"Yeah," I pant. "That was incredible."

He grins and pulls me along until we're at the edge of the pool, looking over the city. We could easily jump out and fall into the street.

I lean over with my arms and peer down, Aiden following suit. I try to ignore the fact that his arms flex during the movements to get comfortable.

"This is where I go when I need to think," He says quietly. He turns to me. "Where's your place?"

I shrug. Goosebumps travel up my arms because of the cool air. It's sunny outside, but it's not the warmest.

"I don't really have one," I admit. "My guitar sort of took me to my own world, I guess. It did for me in the basement and it does for me now." I never look at Aiden during this, still ashamed to speak of my past even if I told him the story. It's not something a person would want to relive.

He gently grabs my chin and makes me look at him anyway. His eyes are soft for once. He isn't angry as a reaction toward me speaking about it. "You can share my thinking spot with me, alright?" He smiles a little.

I do too. "But this is your place. You don't want me in it. Especially not me."

He raises a brow. "Why not? I couldn't think of anyone else I'd want to dangle off of the edge of my mother's building in a glass box full of clear pool water with."