• 5 •

A/N: I believe in fate. Shawn Mendes' new single, In My Blood, perfectly describes this book as a whole. Not this chapter, but the whole book. If one song could describe this book, it would be In My Blood, without a single doubt. And I wrote it PRIOR to when he released this at 12:00 a.m EST. It is absolutely amazing and I cried not once, not twice, but THRICE times. Please listen to it while reading this chapter.

•••

- Anna's POV -

Life is like...like a multiple choice question. Sometimes it's not the actual question that confuses you, but the choices. Not only that, but it is harder to answer than it looks. And the more you think about it, the harder it becomes.

That's my dilemma at the moment: confusion. I can't decide what the hell is going on in my life. I don't even want to understand. I just want to skip this "question" and move along.

Today is Sunday, the last day of the weekend before going back to my new school. Two days and eight hours ago, I discovered that my forever person had been near me at some point. And twenty-three hours ago, Ms. Morgan called the family practitioner to come in and give my mark a look.

I'm sitting in my room with my guitar, even though it scares me a little bit to hold it, playing around with the strings and different progressions. Hayley sits on the edge on her phone, tapping away, most likely texting someone. She said it'd be best to just wear a bra and a bra alone that wouldn't touch my shoulder blade. And I listened to her advice once she told me she'd gone through it at sixteen with Nico.

My intuition was correct on the day I met him: They're together. In fact, they're more than together. They're soulmates.

"That's pretty," she says perkily when I'm transferring from E to Am. I stop playing. "Did you write it?"

I shrug. "I'm just playing random chords."

She thinks for a moment. "Have you ever played in front of anyone? Like performed or whatever? You seem, like, really skilled in this whole guitar and music industry."

I shake my head "no." "I don't like playing in front of people."

"Stage fright?"

"No."

"Then what?"

I shrug again. I don't need to spare her any details of why I don't perform. I'd tell her that it's mine and mine only. She wouldn't understand that, and then I'd have to elaborate on what I mean. Besides, it's mine like I said. I don't need to explain myself.

A ding sounds from her cellular device, and I raise a brow as she eagerly picks it up. A large grin takes full capacity on her lips as her sparkling eyes flit over the screen. Then her thumbs, without any hesitation whatsoever, write out a reply.

When she feels my suspicious stare on her, she quickly presses a button on the side of her phone that turns it off and smiles at me sheepishly. Her pearly whites show, but forcibly for once, as her cheeks burn a shade of crimson.

"Nico?" I ask flatly, the rhetorical reason lining my words. I already know the answer.

Hayley sighs with a faint smile - a real one - and slumps her shoulders a little more. The tension releases in a dreamy defeat. "He's perfect, Anna."