Twenty

Elliot's POV

The few weeks that followed that scary night were filled with tension and worry. Every time the phone rang, we were worried that it would be Eli telling us that Catie lost the baby. But then once we talked to whoever called, the fear came back in full force.

"So, I was thinking about taking sometime off from babysitting our grandchildren, and maybe going down and staying in DC. To help Catie and Eli. Since this move is kinda happening in a bad time..." Kathy trailed off, as we ate dinner together, like we did every week. It keep us both involved in the lives of our kids, and to keep our relationship in a decent place so we don't punch one another.

"I can come too." I spoke, and she shook her head.

"You need to stay here and take over the baby sitting for me." She grinned, as she reached for her wine.

"Kath, come on. I can lift heavy boxes, even in my old age." I replied, and she nodded slowly.

"Yeah, but maybe I want sometime with my son and his wife, without your ass there." She retorted, and I laughed.

"It's nice to know you still think of my ass." I smirked, before standing and going to retrieve another bottle of beer.

"I have to admit, it's nice. But please, stay here." She spoke, as I sat back down, and opened the beer.

"Okay, I'll come back after I drive you down. I'm borrowing your car because mine is in the shop. Don't you remember?" I spoke, and she groaned.

"Okay, but you say hello to them, ask how Catie is feeling, then leave. Deal?"

"I guess." I huffed, but I was still smiling. At least I get to see Eli.

///

Eli's POV

I got a call two days before Catie and I were supposed to move off base, since I decided to leave the corps, so I could take care of my wife and make sure nothing else bad happens.

I walked out of my small office that I had been packing up, and into the bedroom that my wife was laying in. She was supposed to get lots of sleep, and she always ended up napping in the middle of the day.

"Catherine, it's time to wake up, baby." I whispered, as I slowly sat down on the bed behind her. I ran my hand over her back, and she moaned slightly, and I knew she didn't want to get up. She never did.

"Five more minutes." She mumbled, and I chuckled, before helping her sit up, against her will, before leaned back against the back of the bed, and held her close. She woke up slowly, but once she had, she looked up at me.

"Did you eat yet?" She asked.

"No, but are you hungry? I can make you dinner if you're hungry." I spoke, and she shrugged, before leaning into me. I leaned down and kissed her forehead, before sighing.

"So, are you okay with my Mother stays with us and helps us move?" I asked, and Catie bit her lip.

"I guess, since I can't help worth a fuck." She sighed, and I shook my head.

"You can help in the way you are best at helping..." I grinned, and she elbowed me. She knew that I was going to tell her that she is amazing at just supervising and delegating.

"Eli, I just don't know if I'm really ready to move." She frowned.

"I know, this is our home. But the house we move into will be our home. Our baby will be raised there, and all of its siblings. We will be making into a home."

"It is bigger." She spoke, and I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, it's bigger. It'll be perfect for so many babies, and it has space for our annoying, lovable, extraordinarily large family." I smiled, before leaning in and kissing my wife. She was hiding her emotions well, and hadn't started to cry yet, so it's a good start.

"Can we go get something for dinner? Then we need to get more boxes." She spoke, as she started to push her messy brown hair into a ponytail.

"I think we can do that. Now, let me get you a brush. It might help." I teased, and she grabbed the closet pillow and tossed it at me, and all I did was laugh.

Gotta love a girl with sass.

///

Catie's POV

Having my mother in law at the house and helping us move was nice for the most part, but she kinda got annoying halfway through. She kept telling Eli how to pack, and even told me that when I was packing my books into a box, that they weren't laying the right way. I got to the point I was so angry and annoyed, that I need air. I stood and walked out of the house and towards the front curb. I sat down and tugged at my shirt that hugged my body, which made me uncomfortable, which didn't help in this moment either.

I was really wishing that Eli's father had stayed, because I'd rather move with his help than with Kathy's help.

"Hey, are you okay?" Eli asked, as he walked out of the house, and across the yard to where I sat.

"No, I'm not okay." I snapped, and he didn't back off. He had promised me to never let my mood swings get in his way of comforting me when I need it.

"Tell me what's happening, baby." He spoke, as he rubbed my back gently.

"Your mother is driving me nuts. She is treating me like I'm a child. I can pack rectangles without her help." I huffed, and he nodded slowly.

"I know you can, but she's always this controlling. I'll go-"

"Eli, we need to get these boxes moved to the truck so we can finally take the last load over!" Kathy yelled from the door, and it made me want to claw at my eyes.

"Mom, give us some space, okay? We'll be in soon!" Eli exclaimed, as he rubbed my back. I leaned into him, and he kissed the top of my head.

"This is the last time I'm letting you talk me into getting help moving." I groaned, and he chuckled.

"Okay, come on my loves. Lets get you inside and back to packing your word rectangles, and then I'll talk to her, I promise." He spoke, and I looked over and he took his chance to kiss me softly. I hugged him before standing.

He can always calm me down, thankfully.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D