29

I headed down the stairs of my house, the sound of my parents chattering coming from the living room. My mom had called me down, so I instantly sat down beside her.

" yeah? " I asked when i'd joined them, looking between the two.
Both of them had the most nervous looks on their faces, and that put me on edge.
" you can tell her, andrew " my mom looked at my dad, instantly making my eyes snap to his.
Her voice was filled with annoyance, as if she were somewhat disappointed. I began fiddling with my fingers nervously, the guilt obvious in my dad's orbs.
" i know you're not going to take this lightly, eve- " he began, until i cut him off.
They were making me extremely anxious, and I just wanted him to cut to the chase.
" what is it, dad? " I mumbled, as he finally let out a sigh.
" i've been offered a promotion at work " he announced, a smile growing on my face.

My dad worked as a football coach for new jersey's team, and recently they haven't been doing so well. It was great to hear, and I wondered why he'd been so anxious about telling me.
" that's amazing, dad! what- "
" it's in arizona "
The second these words fell from his lips
my jaw dropped, my whole body freezing, but coming back for a split second, when i had some hope. please, please, please.
" yeah, well- "
" i'm taking the job, eve.. and we're moving to arizona " My dad told me this with a blank expression on his face, my throat as dry as a desert as the reality hit me.
" i can stay here, right? i'm eighteen- " I began, still the tiniest bit of hope left in me, until my mother shut me down.
" you're coming with us, sweetie.. with school and everything, we want you with us " She told me, my heart dropping to the ground.

It felt as if the world was spinning, and I couldn't do anything to control it. And the funniest thing is, my first thought, was not that i was leaving the place i'd lived for eighteen years, it was leaving the boy i was beginning to love more than anything. he was becoming my home.

" no! we can't! i have everything here in jersey, please " i tried begging, the tears brimming in my eyes when my dad cut me off.
" honey, the arizona team want me to be their new captain.. they've been doing great this season, and it's a great offer with a huge pay rise.. we can buy a bigger house, get- "
" but i don't want a bigger house, dad! arizona isn't home, new jersey is. please, just let me stay... i can't leave " I felt the tears daring to escape my eyes whilst i pleaded my case, my mom looking at my father, with an i told you so face. She knew I loved new jersey more than anything, and she did too.

" we're flying out in three weeks- " My dad announced, my jaw dropping even more, whilst i felt all of the anger rushing to my head.
" three weeks? prom is in three weeks, dad! "
My dad looked at my mom when i said this, nodding his head at me in promise.
Prom. The event which i'd nearly completely forgotten about, because of everything that had been going on. i'm not missing it.
" you'll still be here for prom, eve.. we leave a few days after " He told me, as if that would
make me change my mind.

" and what about graduation? i'm not going to be able to graduate from the high school i've been going to for years... because that's a few months after prom, dad! " I complained, a tear escaping my eye, as i quickly wiped it away.
" is this about grayson, honey? "
When my mom asked this I fell silent, knowing that yes, he was a huge part of the reason i didn't want to leave. But then again, jersey was my home, and it had been all of my life.
i couldn't go.
" because if it is, you can always fly him out
to visit- " she just doesn't get it.
Before she could even finish her sentence i'd stood up, shaking my head in disbelief as i made my way towards the stairs.
" this is bullshit " i said under my breath as i rushed up the steps and to my bedroom, ignoring the calls of my name.

Instead i locked myself in my bedroom, sliding down against the door with tears staining my already blotchy cheeks. All I could think to do was pull out my phone, and click on his contact. I needed him here, he was the only person who could make me feel like everything was okay. grayson.

______________________________

i just ran down the stairs to answer the phone bc no one else is home, only for it to have no one on the other end

IM OUT OF BREATH AND EXTREMELY PISSED OFF.