12

" one cookie dough, and one vanilla " Grayson spoke to the lady, tapping his fingers against the counter in a rhythm.
I smiled as he spoke, noticing how he didn't even have to ask what flavour I wanted. He'd clearly remembered it from the days him, Ethan and I would all come for ice cream, and chat about the most random things.

Just as the boy was about to hand over his money, I slapped his hand away, holding out my cash with a stern look on my face. However, when the lady was about to take it from my hands, grayson snatched it away, shoving it back towards me before handing over his own money.

The boy didn't say anything, instead he just looked down at the ice cream, trying to fight away the smile that was growing on his lips. His cheeks were slightly pink, he was blushing.
" since when did you decide you wanted to be a gentlemen? " I joked, thanking the lady when she handed us our tubs.
Grayson took them, leading me to a table and sitting down in the pink chair. I did the same, taking a seat opposite the boy with a smile as he gave me my delicious ice cream.
" my mom always told me to pay on the first date, so that's what I'm doing "
His words made me smirk, as he was answering my previous question. I took a spoonful of the cookie dough, humming at the amazing flavour.
" date? " I teased, my cheeks perking up whilst his smile dropped, and he turned red out of embarrassment.
" no, I mean... I've never properly been out with a girl like this before, so I thought I should pay " He shrugged, my jaw nearly dropping to the floor in shock.

" you've never been on a date? " I nearly gasped, a laugh leaving his lips as he leant back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest and grinning like a fool. what a sight.
" why? Is it really that hard to believe? "
I nodded my head, continuing to eat the ice cream which Grayson had kindly paid for.
" well, there's a first for everything, dolan. I guess I'm your first date " I smiled, not sure of why I was enjoying this moment, and why I found the butterflies in my stomach actually existent.
" well, I'm glad you took my first date virginity, evelyn " he giggled, taking a scoop of his vanilla, my eyes rolling as I watched him.

He noticed my unamused expression, stifling a laugh as he shrugged his broad shoulders at me. " what? "
" you confuse me " I told him with a half smile, not sure if my words had thrown him off.
He seemed intrigued, however, as he leant closer, his chin resting in his hand as his tongue swiped across his bottom lip. Damn.
" how come? "

I thought for a second, knowing that he confused me in many ways.
" you were a dick to me after you fell out with ethan and I, but now that he's gone you've just... I don't know- " I tried to explain, not wanting to hurt his feelings, and also not wanting my words to come out sounding stranger than I'd hoped.
However, Grayson cut me off without hesitation, a breath of relief escaping my lips.
" I came back? " he began, reading my mind as if it were an open book.

I nodded my head, silence following us shortly after in the ice cream parlour. The only sound to be heard was the retro sounding music playing through the speakers, and the chattering of workers behind the counter. That was until Grayson let out a laugh, one which wasn't as melodic and contagious as his other's, but one which was filled with anxiousness, and confusion, as he spoke.
" I guess I confuse myself too "

Grayson's car came to a stop, something which I didn't expect to disappoint me. But it did, it disappointed me a lot more than it should have.

The whole car journey back to my house was quite enjoyable, actually. We listened to music, sang along, and chatted as if nothing had cause him to break the friendship in the first place.
It was as if I were sat beside the boy I was bestfriends with a year ago, and that was something i hadn't even realised i'd missed.
I still wondered what made him change when he left us, or even why he left, but I didn't ask him about it.

Just as I was about to get out of his car, I turned towards him, the boy's eyes already fixated on me.
" thank you for tonight, I had a lot of fun " I smiled, his intense gaze enough to make me nervous, as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.
" me too " was all he said, his eyes still scanning across my face as if he were seeing me for the first time.
I gulped, my cheeks turning pink as I mentally slapped myself for getting effected by his stare.
I saw the boy's hazel eyes glance down at my lips, lingering there for a few seconds as his bottom lip became trapped between his teeth. I thought he was about to lean in and kiss me right then and there, and for some reason, I wouldn't have minded it. stop, evelyn.

But instead, he turned to look out at the empty road ahead, his jaw clenching and his eyes dark, filled with guilt. what?
" uh, I'll see you tomorrow " Grayson stuttered, his voice filled with anxiousness.
I nodded, unsure of what to say or do, as I climbed out of his car.
Just as I was about to walk away, I heard his voice, making me turn on my heel in an instant with a smile. " goodnight, evelyn "

I fought back the blush that was daring to rise to my cheeks, as I headed up my pathway. Grayson waited until I'd gotten inside safely until he drove off, my tummy whirling with butterflies, and my mind racing with thoughts.

What have I gotten myself into?

______________________________

next few chapters are INTENSE