20

evelyn's pov.

I spotted grayson at the end of the hallway, his hand clutching onto his backpack strap tightly.
I needed to speak to him, I had to tell him how I felt honestly.
" gray! " I called out, only to have him turn back to me, a small smile appearing on his lips as he did so.
However it quickly faded, the change in mood making my heart drop.
" what do you need? " He asked me, the guilt obvious in everything he did, as he nervously shifted from foot to foot.
I raised an eyebrow, placing a hand on my hip.
" what do I need? I need for you to talk to me, you've been ignoring my texts... I just need to speak to you about last night " I told him.
Within seconds his face had flushed of all colour, and he was as white as a sheet. That worried me, but I needed answers, so I didn't stop there.

" I want something more, grayson. Is that so much to ask for? " I squeaked out, only for him to cough awkwardly.
I stopped immediately, my cheeks turning red from anger as he spoke.
" uh, I'm sorry evelyn.. I can't remember what happened... "
I knew grayson by now. he runs away from all of his problems, and lies if he has to. but he can't run forever.
" really, gray? because it doesn't take a fucking genius to know that you're lying " I crossed my arms against my chest, not giving in.

Grayson didn't go on forever, though. This time, he backed down, his hands dropping to his sides and his heart beating heavily.
" ok, you're right. but I'm just not capable of... g-giving you what you want " He stuttered nervously, the hurt and pain obvious in his voice " trust me, eve.. I know what I want, but I also know when I can't have it "

His words hit me intensely, my heart skipping a beat and my hands turning shaky.
" and why can't you have it, grayson? " I spoke up, shocking myself.
He clearly thought that his small speech would shut me up, but it didn't. I wasn't giving up, I knew that Grayson was hurting himself by holding back, and that was hurting me in the process.

I took a step closer to him, my nostrils flared and my breathing uneven.
" stop trying to protect your image, and your reputation, grayson! it's selfish! " I hissed, looking at the boy I was growing really attached to in dismay, ready to leave him alone right there in the hallway.
That was until he scoffed, a laugh of disbelief leaving his lips.
" for fucks sake, evelyn! you think i'm protecting myself? " He commented, my body freezing and my lips agape, whilst I tried to think of what to say.
" grayson, just listen to- "
Before I could even get my words out, he'd cut me off, taking a few steps closer to me.
" no, you listen to me, eve " what he said shocked me, his eyes turning dark and his chest heaving up and down in anger.

It was then that he let out a breath, his fist suddenly colliding with the locker above me, creating a loud sound, which caught the attention of many other students. I jumped slightly at his aggression, my lip quivering as his jaw clenched and unclenched, his hand most likely turning red and bruising.
" i'm trying to protect you! i'll just fucking hurt you, do you think that's what i want?!? " he snapped, everyone's eyes on us as he stared down at me in annoyance.
I felt my eyes begin to turn glossy, and i bit my lip to stop it from quivering more than it already was.
" i don't know how to do any of that relationship shit! i'd just be such a let down, i always am! " Grayson's words baffled me, tears threatening to escape my eyes as I held them back desperately.

I knew he was hurt, he was in a constant war with himself, he always had been. It had never been him, it was always ethan. His whole life, it was a competition. A competition that he was forced to enter, and a competition where he constantly lost.

" gray, you're not- " Before I could even tell him that he wasn't a let down, and that I was beyond proud of who he'd become, he'd cut me off, and left me in silence.
" no! don't even say that, evelyn! " he yelled, his own eyes turning glossy when he saw me jump at his raise of voice, and when he saw the tear dribble down my blotchy cheeks.

I shook my head, unable to even cope with this.
I didn't even look back at him as I began rushing down the hallway, hoping that he'd come after me, and tell me that he was sorry, or that he wanted to be with me.
" eve " he called out once, his voice desperate and filled with hurt, cracking a little as if he were on the verge of a tears himself.
" evelyn " he called out again, for the final time, though I didn't dare turn back.

Instead I wiped under my eyes with the back of my hand, sniffling uncontrollably as I turned the corner, my eyes pealing up from the ground. I felt my heart drop when I came face to face with the boy I didn't want to see at all, a part of me expecting that he'd try to comfort me. I thought that he'd realise then and there that he was making a mistake, and apologise, but he didn't. All he did was smirk, and look me up and down with his dark hazel eyes.

" i did warn you, evelyn. don't say i didn't " Ethan threw his hands up in defence with a cocky look playing on his face, my lips agape, and my eyes stinging.
" fuck you " was all I could muster as i shoved past him, feeling his eyes follow me down the hall, until I was out of the exit doors, no where to be seen.

_____________________________

i'd say ethan's a dick but it's
microscopic