Fifty

It was a gloomy Thursday morning. Lauren's conversation with Camila from the previous night has totally consumed her thoughts which only left her with nothing but a sleepless night.

Today she would be meeting Dinah at a nearby coffee shop which they used to spend hours in doing homework for college. Though Lauren has always enjoyed the company of the Polynesian, today she asked to have coffee with Dinah with other intentions than to just have a casual conversation. She needed answers.

"Hey!" the green-eyed girl said once she saw Dinah already sitting at one of the outdoor tables of the coffee shop. "Sorry, I'm late. Chris borrowed my car and didn't return it until this morning," she added while giving the other girl a welcoming hug.

"It's okay. I'm used to you not being on time," Dinah replied half-jokingly.

After briefly looking at the menu, the waiter approached the two asking for their order. Dinah opted for a bagel and iced coffee while Lauren ordered a cappuccino and toast.

Within moments of talking about a variety of different things, Dinah was the one to initiate in having Lauren speak about what she really wanted to talk about.

"As much as I love spending time with you, I know you didn't invite me to just have coffee," the Polynesian said, taking a sip of her cold beverage.

"Camz probably already told you about the whole proposition her parents gave her," Lauren began in which Dinah nodded in affirmation. "I just... I don't know how I feel about the whole thing, about her being with someone else."

"Lauren you do know that it's gonna be fake right? Everything she'll do with that guy will all be for show," Dinah explained. "Plus it's not like you guys really have a solid choice."

"I know, but I just have a bad feeling about it. I don't want it to jeopardize our relationship."

"Not if you don't let it. I don't say this very often when it comes to Mila and her romantic relationships, but I really do believe that you guys will make it work. I can't believe that I didn't think to introduce you two to each other when we were in college because you guys are literally soulmates," the taller girl said which gave Lauren some ease and comfort.

After drinking almost half of her cappuccino, the green-eyed girl decided to speak up about Camila again.

"Dinah?" Lauren began. "Whatever happened to Camz and her ex-girlfriend? I know Camila's parents got in the way of them, but I'm just curious what exactly happened?"

Dinah was taken by surprise by Lauren's question. She felt as though it wasn't her place to tell, but then again, it happened over a year ago.

"I don't know if I should be the one to tell you, Lo," the Polynesian sighed, still hesitant on whether she should tell Lauren. "Have you tried asking Mila?"

"I did that day we were all in New York, but she just dodged the question," the other girl replied.

"That's because it's one if not the lowest point that she's ever been in her life."

"What happened?" Lauren probed.

"Lauren, listen," the Polynesian said firmly. "It's not my place to tell you the full details of happened. I know you want answers, but it will be better if you hear it from Mila."

The green-eyed girl just nodded her head in agreement.

"I just want to help her and it's hard when she can't even fully open up to me," Lauren admitted weakly.

The Polynesian understood Lauren's struggle. Dinah placed her hand on top of Lauren's before beginning to speak.

"I know Lo. Mila can be so closed off sometimes, but trust me, you just need to be patient with her"