Twenty

Saturday

Even though Lauren didn't want to go see Gabe, she felt like she had to. Their breakup was messy to say so the least. Ever since finding out that he had cheated on her, she wanted nothing to do with him. But even so, Lauren still valued the relationship she had with Gabe and wanted to hear what he had to say. Afterall, they were once friends before being lovers.

It was almost quarter to four in the morning when Lauren pulled up to the apartment complex which Gabe instructed her to go to. She sat in the car for about fifteen minutes, thinking if she is doing the right thing. Lauren tried to distract herself by using her phone which eventually led her to text Chris and informing him where she's at. She didn't want to worry Chris, but she thought that if something were bad to happen, her brother would come to her rescue.

Finally, Lauren made her way in the apartment complex and up the stairs, still contemplating whether she should go back to her car and drive back home, but a part of her was afraid that her former boyfriend would do something stupid like he had said in the text messages.

"Lauren," Gabe sighed as he opened the door and let Lauren in. His eyes noticeably tired as though he hasn't slept in days.

"I thought you said you only had a couple drinks," Lauren pointed out, noticing the prominent smell of alcohol from the dark-haired boy. 

"Let's sit down," he suggested as he led Lauren to the couch. The top of the coffee table barely visible as beer cans and a pizza box laid on top of it. "Do you want some pizza? It's kind of cold but I can heat it up?"

Lauren shook her head.

"I came here because you said you wanted to talk," Lauren informed him, "so talk."

"I-," Gabe began as he dropped his head to his hands, feeling defeated by his lack of words. "Lauren, I can't live without you. I'm a mess."

Lauren tried to speak, but Gabe continued to speak.

"I got fired from my job and I'm getting evicted if I don't pay rent by tomorrow."

"I want to help you, but you know I barely even make enough to pay my own rent," Lauren said truthfully.

"Lauren, I don't want your money. I just need a place to stay," Gabe said with a wishful look in his eyes.

"Gabe, you can't stay with me if that's what you're insinuating," Lauren said firmly.

"Why not?" Gabe asked. "Don't you miss me Laur?"

"I don't think you want me to answer that," the green eyed girl replied, turning her face away from him.

Gabe got up from the couch as he began to chug down the already opened beer that was stood on the coffee table.

"You found someone else didn't you?" the boy laughed, pacing back and forth and simultaneously bringing the beer can up to his mouth. "So who's the guy? I'm sure he's not a fucking loser like me."

This was a first for Lauren. She had never seen Gabe act in this manner before. Deep down she felt that he was broken and this broke Lauren's heart. Yes he cheated on her, but Lauren couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

"Gabe, stop," Lauren said as she tried to grab the can from his hand which ended up dropping on the floor as its contents spilled all over the boy's white t-shirt and onto the cream colored carpet.

"I'm such a fucking mess," Gabe cried, his eyes filled with tears.

"Look, why don't you change and get some sleep," Lauren suggested as she cupped the right side of his face with her hand. "We can talk another time when you're not drunk like this."