"Len!" Daisy spotted them, waving frantically.

     She still didn't move.

    "El?" Theo frowned, and followed her gaze to the surfers at the edge of the coastline. "El, breathe. It's going to be fine. I'll be right next to you," he cupped her cheek with his other hand, gently forcing her to look at him. "We won't even leave the shack, okay? We're not going to see that bastard." His nostrils flared. "I won't let him near you."

     Her fear-ridden eyes flickered to his face. To his clenched jaw and the stern look in his expression. To the absolute certainty of his words.

     He dropped his hand when he felt her relax, lingering softly down her arm as he let it fall back to his side. His thumb from his other hand traced slow circles on her skin, making her breathe properly again. His touch was calming her down like the sound of waves in the ocean.

     And with that, she trusted him, wholeheartedly.

    "Welcome back, boss," Jeff teased as they arrived, flipping a towel over his shoulder.

    "And looking good, McKinney," Daisy quipped. "Still a bit pale though, which is why you and I have to go sunbathing soon." Then her eyes locked on their joined hands. "Holy shit. Is that for real?"

     El's cheeks heated. The touching, butterfly kisses, hand-holding — it all happened quite naturally, and she didn't know how to explain it other than it felt right. 

     But she wasn't ready to say anything official. Not yet, at least.

    "None of your business, Clementine," he deadpanned, but his hand didn't let go of hers.

    "Mhmm. Alright." She slurped more of her drink before finishing it to the brim, slamming it down on the counter. "Well, you arrived just in time. It's almost Zach's semi-finals round. Jeff and I were going to root for him."

    "We are?" Jeff asked blankly.

    "Yes, honey, we've talked about this."

     As if on cue, a familiar voice blared through one of the speakers, someone she recognised as Coach Banks's. He was announcing the upcoming line of surfers. And one name in particular stood out.

    "...and you all know it, Travis Porter!"

     Stars. The mere sound of his name made her heart clench.

     They all turned to her in concern, but it was Jeff who hesitated to go. She forced a smile for him. "It's fine, go ahead. Everything's good here."

    "If you say so, boss." He shared a look with Daisy, who reached out and squeezed El's hand. Then they both headed for the waves.

    "You can go, too, you know," she muttered, letting go of Theo's hand to tuck a strand behind her ear. He frowned in its absence.

    "I'd rather stay here with you."

    "I don't need you to babysit me."

     Immediately, she cringed at herself. It came out harsher than she'd intended, and it wasn't like her to spit out these kinds of remarks.

     He only smiled at her mortification. "I'm not babysitting you," he chuckled. "You're not the only one who's avoiding Travis, you know. If I ever see him..." he shook his head. "I'm afraid of what I'm going to do."

     She bit her lip. El had always sensed the animosity between them, even before the break-up. Even when she was too afraid to acknowledge it. Now, it was crystal clear and much, much worse.