20 • Not A Promise

Start from the beginning

    El opted for a sleeveless crop top and some shorts, which wasn't the most revealing as opposed to the bikini-clad girls, but exposed enough for her to notice that Theo kept quickly glancing away from her.

     It wasn't like she had it so easy herself. Not when he was wearing a white tank that didn't do much to hide those lean muscles.

     El, a voice warned. You're trekking dangerous waters.

     But she might as well been swimming for a while, hadn't she?

    "Huh," Zach clicked his tongue, looking at Daisy's heart-shaped sunglasses and the red one piece she wore that made her look like a Baywatch recruit. "Got that right."

     Daisy grinned. "Perfect."

***

     It wasn't everyday that the Championships gave days off, so the beach was crowded with the other surfers hanging out with their friends, their families. That also took some relief off of Anchor's. It made El wonder where Travis might be, and why he didn't said anything to her about the surfers' break. 

     Anyhow, the five of them headed to the lifeguards' post where common vendors gathered to sell their goods. After much negotiation which included Zach arguing with a salesman and El using her local charm to persuade the man, they ended up renting four surfboards under a better price.

     Emphasise on four.

    "You're not joining us?" Zach asked, confused.

    "I just ate a whole plate of chicken tacos earlier," El admitted sheepishly. "So I think I'll sit this one out and watch from the sidelines."

     Zach scrunched up his nose. "I have seen surfers get sick on the waves. Not a pretty sight, I'm telling you. You chose the right path." But he pulled out a small camera from his pocket and handed it to her. "I was going to give this to Jeff, but since you're here anyway..."

     She bit her lip. "Yeah," she said lightly, gripping the camera. "I can take pictures."

    "Great. Make sure you take my good side." He turned to Chase and Daisy, who were already walking towards the beach. "Vamos, amigos!"

     When they reached the end of the shore and started climbing up the waters, Theo hung back a bit, frowning. "You sure you don't wanna join? I know it sounds miserable, but it could be fun the more the merrier."

    "No, I'm sure. Make sure Chase doesn't stray too far away from shore."

     Theo cracked a smile. "Aye-aye, capt."

     So the hour went by, of El taking pictures of Zach attempting to teach the art of surfing. That only resulted in Chase playing with the water, Daisy screaming at the top of her lungs, and Theo falling repeatedly off of the board. The last of which El couldn't stop laughing at.

     Over and over again, her body would double up and her stomach would hurt from too much laughter. She thought tears actually came from her eyes. Chase did succeed one attempt, though, and everyone clapped and whistled for the kid. He had blushed, and Daisy had given him a fat kiss on the cheek. Theo had glared.

     But he heard El's giggle, and he turned to look at her.

     Her laughter suddenly died down, entranced by the way he slowly smiled at her, with his blue eyes crinkling in the corner. Stars, she thought. That was a smile.