19 • Secret Glances

Zacznij od początku

     So he was right. A few things between her and Daisy didn't add up.

     Was that the reason why she never mentioned her before? Theo thought further, remembering that she didn't mention anything on Travis, either. Was he just overthinking or was this a continuous pattern? Did she have something against the people from her past? But if she did, it didn't make sense to him; she didn't show any signs of hostility.

     It dawned on him then that he knew little about Eleanor McKinney.

    "We were," she finally answered. "In high school. She graduated a year before me, and she goes to school to New York. It's just been a while since we've seen each other. Thats why I was a little... awkward."

    "She made it seem like you two were close."

    "I doubt it," she muttered, but seemed to realise what she'd actually said. She covered it with an airy smile. "I mean, it's the first time she's here for summer break, so I guess she's feeling a little nostalgic over everything."

     That could've been an understatement. Even though Daisy had the tan skin of a local, the rest of her screamed city girl. Definitely Zach's type, and truthfully, his type, too. In this case, however, he wasn't interested. Maybe she was just a little too out there.

     Or maybe it was just because of the girl standing next to him.

     Don't. Go. There.

    "You look good, by the way."

     Theo tripped. "What?"

    "There's just something different about you. A good different." Then she turned to him with that signature-style cheekiness. "Means I don't have to endure the presence of a boy who's sulking all the time all the time."

    "Careful there, McKinney. You might be speaking too soon."

    "Oh, I doubt it."

    "And why is that?"

    "Because you're smiling."

     Immediately he felt his lips pull into a wider grin, and he softly nudged her shoulder with his, to which she responded with a giggle. His chest fluttered at the sound.

     They'd been walking leisurely, listening to the chitter-chatter of the town, until at one point, his eyes spotted a lamplight on the other side of the road.

     A thought came forward.

    "Come on," he blurted, and without even thinking, grabbed her hand.

     El squealed in surprise as he led them across the street, his body suddenly full of adrenaline. It wasn't even crowded of vehicles, but feeling her hand in his and hearing her carefree laugh, his chest went soaring.

    "Theo!" she let out a surprised giggle, when they finally went to a stop. She pulled her hand back to tuck a stray of hair, and his hand missed her warmth. "What was that all about? What are we doing here?"

     He pointed upwards.

     When she looked up, her eyes brightened.

    "This isn't..." El gazed back at him, the light above them flickering.

    "It is."

     The lamplight where she had shown up with his sketchbook. Where she saw El's wide and dark eyes, like he did now, curious and hesitant at the same time.

    "I want to show you something."

     She cocked her head, intrigued.

     Theo reached through his bag for the familiar texture before pulling it out. The hardcover was still as black as the night sky, and from a first glance it seemed like it was all there ever was: blank. But that wasn't true.