Chapter Twenty-Nine

[Amanda]

  "If we aren't ghosts now," Miko said as we backed away from the oncoming zombicon. "We will be soon."

  Skyquake let out a roar, rumbling the ground, making us all freeze. Finn was the first to recover.

  "Come on!" He yelled, spurring me into motion. We all broke into a run, dashing away from the zombicon, which trudged after us. We were all so focused on getting away that we didn't notice Raf falling behind until he fell. Jack whirled around and grabbed the younger boy, pulling him behind a boulder, where we all regrouped.

  "Jack, my glasses!" Raf exclaimed, tugging on the older boy's hand. Jack peered around the  boulder to see the zombicon heading towards us, Raf's glasses being in the middle of that path.

  "Way too dangerous," Jack said.

  "I can't see without them!" Raf protested.

  "What are you, 90?" Miko demanded.

  Finn shook his head. "Not helping, Miko."

  "Fine," She huffed, walked forward a few steps, and then made a dash for the glasses.

  "Wait!" I exclaimed, not wanting to see my best friend get squashed by Skyquake. Miko managed to grab the glasses off the ground just as the zombicon was right above her. It brought its foot down to crush her, and that was when fear seized in my chest.

  "No!" I thrust my hand out, as if to push Miko out of the way-

  And something silver flew from my hand, slamming into Skyquake's foot. A stream of silver dust was flung from my hand to the zombicon, connecting with its foot and sending it off course, causing Skyquake to stumble to the side. This allowed Miko the chance to run back.

  "Here you go, gramps," She handed Raf his glasses, then whirled on me, gawking like the others. "What was that?!"

  I stepped back, staring at my hand, my heart beating in my ears. "I... I don't know."

  "Whatever it was, it'll have to wait," Finn declared. "We have to move." 

  We took off running again, trying to put some distance between us and Skyquake. This time I ran next to Raf, ensuring he could keep up.

  "Maybe we could set a trap," Miko suggested as we ran. "Try to crush it."

  "With what?" Raf asked. "Nothing else is solid but us and the ground."

  "But we can't run forever." Finn argued.

  "No," I spoke up, shaking off my shock from earlier. "But maybe we can hide."

  I cut left and everyone followed as I ducked into a smaller path of rocks. Skyquake sounded far enough away that we all stopped to catch our breath.

  "Best thing about zombies," Miko said between breaths. "They're slow-moving."

  "We're never going to lose him the way we're going now." I sighed.

  "Why don't you blast him again?" She suggested. "With that thing you just did?"

  I shook my head. "Miko, I have no idea what that just was or if I can do it again. It just happened."

  Still, the silver dust felt right, especially when it flew to hit Skyquake. I don't know why but something inside me clicked and-

  A ringtone cut off my thoughts, but the ring itself made us all perk to attention.

  "Is that your-" Raf started.

  "Phone!" We all exclaimed as Jack pulled out his phone to answer.