Chapter Seven

[Amanda]

  I hadn't even noticed we arrived until Optimus stopped at the gate in front of my house. I used my phone to remotely open it and then he proceeded up the long driveway before stopping in front of the triple garage door. I climbed out, careful not to slam the door since I didn't know if that would hurt him.

  "Amanda," Optimus said and transformed into his normal form. It didn't matter out here what mode he took, since there was no one around to see him. "I am sorry for the loss of your parents."

  I shrugged, not turning around. "I never knew my dad. I just assumed he was dead. And I- I've accepted the fact that my mom won't be coming home any time soon a long time ago."

  That was technically a lie, but Optimus didn't have to know that.

  "I understand," he said and we fell silent for a moment.

  I turned around and faced the Autobot. "You lost someone today. Cliffjumper?"

  He nodded. "Cliffjumper was Arcee's partner and one of our finest."

  "Now there are only the five of you," I muttered. "Aren't there any more Autobots? Anywhere?"

  "We are scattered across the universe, trying to find safe havens," he explained. "Earth is the best suited for us so far."

  "But you could leave anytime you wanted to, right?"

  Optimus glanced at the ground. "We currently don't have the means for space travel."

  I nodded and we went silent again, before I looked back up at the Autobot.

  "I'm heading to bed." I announced, reforming my cool composure. "Feel free to use the garage if you want, or something."

  With that, I headed inside and locked my front door. Letting out a breath I didn't realize I was holding, I leaned my head against the wall, trying to take everything in.

  "Miss Beckett?" Blair surprised me out of my thoughts. "There is an unidentifiable truck in the driveway. Should I alert authorities?"

  "No," I replied, heading to my room. "No, don't alert anyone. And give that truck security clearance of the grounds."

  "Miss, it's moving into the garage but there is no driver detected. Should I alert-"

  "No!" I snapped. "Just leave the truck alone."

  "Right away, miss."

  I told Blair to do the routine security sweep and then headed to bed. As I stared at the ceiling, I wondered how any of this could be happening.

  Stop thinking. I thought. Just.... Stop. Get some sleep.

  Tomorrow's going to be a long day.

[Jack]

  I woke up after a solid two minutes of hearing Arcee rev her engine inside my garage. Hurrying to put clothes on and grab shoes, I poked my head inside the garage.

  "Sh!" I hissed. "Are you crazy? You'll wake up my mom!"

  She scooted forward. "Grab your helmet. It's go time."

  I groaned. "It's Saturday!"

  "You can watch cartoons back at base with Bumblebee," Arcee said.

  "Cartoons," I scoffed. "I'm sixteen."

  I headed back inside, grabbed a piece of toast, and scribbled a note for my mom before heading back to the garage. Sure enough, I pulled on my helmet, opened the garage door and got on Arcee. She pulled out of the driveway and drove out of town until we hit the road that lead to the base. That's when she started driving even faster.