Chapter Eleven

[Amanda]

  This time, Optimus didn't make me wake up at 7 a.m.

  He woke me up at 3:36 a.m.

  "Wha-" I stumbled into the garage, rubbing my eyes. I had gotten a solid few hours of sleep on the couch, but still, being woken up in the middle of the night was not ideal.

  "I must return to base," Optimus said, already in his vehicle mode. "You may stay if you wish, though it may be best if you accompany me for your own safety."

  "Can I sleep at the base?"

  "Of course."

  "Give me five minutes then," I said, before dashing back into my house. Changing into some leggings and a t-shirt, I grabbed a backpack and shoved a bunch of breakfast bars into it before racing back out. I climbed into the passenger seat, tapping a few commands into my phone so that Optimus could get off of my property without stopping. I yawned, peering out at the night sky, before realizing the speed we were going at.

  "Why are we heading back to base?" I asked finally.

  "Ratchet informed me that he has discovered something important that requires my immediate attention." he replied.

  I nodded. "So it can't wait until the morning."

  "No. But you are welcome to sleep for as long as you want when we arrive at the base."

  "Good," Then a thought popped into my mind. "Hey Optimus?"

  "Yes, Amanda?"

  "Remember how you told Jack that our lives weren't the only ones in danger, but all humans were?"

  "I recall saying that."

  "If that's true, then how come you didn't just leave? I mean, I'm not cheesed that I had to wake up super early, but really. Why didn't you go?"

  He didn't answer for a long moment, making me wonder if he heard me, and then answered. "I fear the Decepticons may target you more than the others."

  "Because I was with you when they first spotted me," I realized, a slight bit of fear creeping into me.

  "Amanda, I promise no harm will come to you from the Decepticons so long as my spark is whole." Optimus said.

  I swallowed hard. "That's a hefty promise."

  We were silent for the rest of the way to the base, which was only a couple minutes from where we were. Once we pulled in, I grabbed my backpack and climbed out of the passenger seat, heading straight towards the couch. Optimus and Ratchet started talking, but I couldn't focus on any of it. Too many thoughts swirled around my mind, but the most dominant one was sleep. Just as I lay down on the couch and dozed off, I caught a bits of the conversation.

  "Megatron is building a space bridge, if he hasn't already."

  "Sooner... leave the better."

  "... not using it to leave Earth, but to bring through his conquering army."

  "The main event.... Recruit that many fallen warriors..."

  "Cybertron."

  Then it all went black.

[Jack]

  As I pulled up to KO Burger, I couldn't help but sigh. Guilt had been gnawing at me all night, especially after Miko's little pep talk, and it wasn't getting any better. It had only been one night since I left the Autobots, but it felt like a lot longer