Chapter Eight

[Amanda]

  Hello awkward situations.

  Jack was the first to speak. "Okay, chief. So, what's on the activities list?"

  I rolled my eyes. Were they seriously going to act like the children Ratchet pegged us for?

  Arcee seemed to think the same thing, because she turned around and said, "I'm going on patrol."

  "But Optimus told us to stay," Bulkhead protested as she walked past him

  "When you're in charge, you can call the shots," She shot back before turning to Bumblebee. "Bee. With me. Bulkhead, you're in charge."

  With that, they transformed into their vehicle modes and drove out of the base, leaving the rest of us behind. A flash on my phone brought my attention back to it and I smiled to myself, realizing my satellite had finally pulled through. I got to work, downloading the entire Autobot mainframe remotely.

  "So, uh," Bulkhead turned back to the rest of us and I looked up, just to draw attention away from what I was doing. "What's on the activities list?"

  A loud screech cut through the air and I got up from the couch to peer down to see Miko playing with the dials on an amp, her electric guitar in hand.

  "How about band practice?" She offered, even though it sounded more like a command.

  "But, we're not a band," Raf said.

  "Why so antisocial?" She walked towards the younger child. "Come on, Raf. You play anything?"

  He paused for a second and then picked up his laptop. "Um, keyboard?"

  "Laptops and samples, good!" She sounded happy with his answer so she turned around. "Jack?"

  "I sometimes mess around on the harmonica," Jack said, rubbing the back of his head.

  "Do I look like I do country?" Miko asked accusingly. "Just cover yourself with fake blood and jump around screaming. Amanda?"

  I looked down at her again. "I don't do instruments."

  "Oh come on! You've got that massive mansion on the edge of the town and don't have a single instrument in there?" She pried.

  "There are instruments," I sighed. "But I don't play any of them."

  Miko shook her head disappointedly. "Alright. I guess you'll be our producer or something, since you're rich and all. Bulkhead!" She turned away from me. "Percussion! We'll go for big industrial sound. DIY, we're a band! You just gotta learn the songs. This one's a ballad, 'my fist, your face'."

  She began to play a tune really loud, causing the rest of us to cover our ears, Bulkhead included. Miko paid no attention though, and continued to riff her electric guitar, until one of the Autobot's computer screens flashed green and began beeping.

  "Whoa, whoa whoa!" Bulkhead said, indicating Miko should turn the volume down.

  She finally looked up. "Come on. You can't handle raw power?"

  Bulkhead looked panicked. "Proximity sensor. Quick, hide!"

  I ducked behind the wall that had the door to the roof and saw Jack, Miko and Raf dash behind Bulkhead's foot. I had to hold myself back from smacking my head against the wall. What the hell were they thinking? But, I didn't have time to let them know how idiotic they were because a swoosh noise indicated that the roof door had opened and Agent Fowler was now here.

  "Prime!" He demanded, sounding as stern as usual. It was weird to hear him again, especially after Mom died. The last time I saw him was at her funeral, after everyone else had left and it was just me left.

  "You're not alone, Amanda. If you ever need anything, you know how to find me."

  If you're alone, no one can leave you. If you're alone, no one can leave you.

  "Agent Fowler," Bulkhead greeted. "Uh, he's not here. N-Nobody's here. Except me, of course."

  Dang it Bulkhead. Now you're going to get us caught.

  "Well, where'd he go?" Agent Fowler demanded. "Wait, don't tell me. He's out pancaking a mini-mall."

  I peered out from behind the wall and saw Fowler heading towards the stairs that lead to the ground.

  "Now, I don't know what language you 'Bots speak on your planet, but Prime promised he'd handle the Decepticons and blowing a crater in the middle of Nebraska is not what the word handle in English!" He ranted, but I heard another noise as he did. The sound of... Miko's amp. I glanced out again to see Bulkhead fidgeting, clearly trying not to trip on the wire that went from Miko's amp to her guitar, which she still had in hand.

  "So you tell Prime-" The noises from the amp got louder, this time loud enough to cause Fowler to look down and see the cord. We were caught. "Since when are you 'Bots electric?"

  Bulkhead, who looked like he was finally paying attention to Agent Fowler's words, was caught off guard, unable to think of the right response. That's when Jack, Miko and Raf decided to reveal themselves. This time I almost did slam my head on the wall.

  "Hey," Jack waved at Fowler. "How you doing?"

  Fowler straightened up. "Contact with civilians! Team Prime has really gone off the rules this time. Wait, don't tell me, you're running a daycare center?"

  Bulkhead still didn't know what to say, so Jack picked up the slack.

  "We're interns!" He declared.

  "Student interns." Raf added.

  "Earning extra credit in," Jack continued. "Autoshop."

  "Robotics." Miko said at the same time. I groaned internally.

  Agent Fowler paused and began walking down the stairs, then towards the others. "Okay, let's move. I'm taking all three of you into federal custody for your own protection."

  Bulkhead stomped his foot between Fowler and the group. "We're protecting them."

  "Is that so?" Fowler asked, not sounding happy at all and then walked to the phone on the wall next to the stairs. "Well maybe you can explain that to my superiors at the Pentagon!"

  "Don't use that phone, it's-" Bulkhead warned, leaning forward, before crushing the phone with his finger. "Out of order."

  "This isn't over, Big Foot!" Fowler exclaimed. "Not by a long shot!"

  He walked back up the stairs, with the others staring after him, and that's when I finally emerged from my hiding spot. He stopped in his tracks, looking like he saw a ghost.

  "Amanda?" Fowler asked, sounding disbelieving.

  "Come on, Fowler," I started. "You used to be more lenient than this. Let this go, just this once?"

  "Don't tell me you got dragged into this mess too," Fowler said, running a hand through his dark hair. "Not being off the grid for so long."

  I shrugged. "I couldn't keep my nose out of it. Life was getting dull."

  He glanced back at the others, and then to me again. "Fine. I'll let this slide, but, when I'm off work, you and I are going to have a long talk."

  "Looking forward to it," I said, remembering all the times Agent Fowler and I would have the funniest conversations. I could use a bit of the happy memories for a change. Fowler nodded and then continued his way to the roof door, disappearing once and for all.