Chapter Two

[Raf]

  "Vrooooom," I steered my remote control car up and down the street, making speeding noises with my mouth when I heard my phone ring. Picking it up, I saw it was my mom.

  "Hi, mama," I said. "Racing, right up the street- Okay, just five more minutes?"

  I hung up before hearing a full answer and went back to making speeding sound effects. Not three seconds later, I heard someone yelling in fear and looked up to see a motorcycle with a boy riding it jump right off the highway onto the road in front of me. The motorcycle skidded to a stop and I stood, jaw dropped.

  "Whoa," I said, astonished at what I'd just seen.

  The boy riding the motorcycle looked up at me and looked like he was going to be sick. "You have no idea." Then, he slowly got off the motorcycle, as if unsure whether it was okay or not. I ran up to the motorcycle, admiring it and replaying that awesome jump in my head when the sound of screeching brakes caught my attention. Me and the boy, who I recognized as Jack Dibby or something like that (since everyone basically knows everyone in Jasper), spun around to see two sets of headlights at the top of the hill that lead to the highway. Both cars up there sped down the side of the hill and as they hit the air they....

  They transformed.

  Both cars transformed into identical giant robot things and landed in front of us. Their arms somehow twisted within themselves, the other end revealing a gun. I took a step back and saw Jack do the same, before we heard the sound of metal twisted behind us. We both turned around to see the motorcycle transform into a robot thing too.

  "This ends here, Cons," The motorcycle-robot said as Jack grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the middle of what soon was bound to be a fight. Motorcycle-robot charged at the two twin robots as the twin robots shot at her-it-whichever. She ran between the bullets, dodging them as she got closer and closer to the twin robots, before she started kicking and punching them. The sound of screeching and crunching metal filled my ears as I backed up towards the wall that lined the road, Jack alongside me.

  "What are they?" I asked, my voice shell-shocked.

  "Talking cars that turn into robots," Jack replied, sounding as shocked as I was. "Or the other way around."

  The two of us watched as the motorcycle-robot kept locked in her fight with the other two robots, her punches getting harder and harder.

  "This-" She said between punches. "Is-For-Cliff!"

  Her last punch was the hardest, but the robot she was punching turned its head back towards her, a murderous gleam in its... eye? Motorcycle-robot backed up a step, getting down into a fighting stance before flipped backwards as the robot-car shot at her. The last shot made an impact, hitting her in the chest, and sent motorcycle-robot to the ground. Jack and I surged forward but stopped, knowing we'd be crushed in no time.

  Another noise, one of screeching tires, made us look up again, this time to see a black and yellow muscle car drive off the highway, turning into a robot as well. It landed in front of the twin robots and punched one hard, allowing the motorcycle-robot to get up. The twin robots fell hard and the black-yellow robot stepped back- only to step right on my remote control car. He looked down and lifted his foot, revealing the crushed bits of my car. Then he turned back to me, making a series of buzzing noises, which somehow I understood.

  "No problem," I assured the black-yellow robot. "Really."

  Once the words left my mouth, a gunshot from a twin-car flew and hit black-yellow robot in the chest, sending him flying back. Black-yellow robot tried to get back up, but one of the twin-cars stepped on his head, forcing him back down. They both raised their guns to black-yellow robot's face, ready to shoot.

  "Leave him alone!" I yelled without thinking. Both twin cars turned their guns on me and Jack. I almost ducked back, my voice much weaker than before as I said, "Please?"

  Jack crouched next to me. "Bad call."

  One twin-car walked towards us, its gun still aimed at us, when Jack grabbed my arm and we both ran.

  "Come on! Come on!" Jack yelled, ushering me towards a pipe in the wall. Everyone knew that pipe lead to the main park in Jasper, so it made sense to go through there. The twin-car still stomped after us, even after Jack and I climbed into the pipe.

  "Keep moving!" Jack yelled as we ran down the pipe. I glanced back to see the twin-car reaching down the pipe for us, when all of a sudden it was jerked back. Jack and I both stopped to hear multiple crunching noises and smashes, before black-yellow robot peered down the tunnel and made another series of buzzing noises.

  "Thank you," I told him and he buzzed back happily, telling us to get out of there.

  "Don't look back," Jack ordered, putting a hand on my shoulder to turn me away from the opening of the pipe, where I was looking in awe.

  As we ran farther down the pipe, I asked, "What did we just see?"

  "No idea," Jack replied. "And I'm not sure I want to find out."