Chapter One

[Jack]

  "Welcome to KO drive in, where every patty is a knockout," I said into the microphone, holding back a sigh. "May I take your order?"

  "Two super combos, extras fries," The person on the other end of the drive in microphone replied.

  "Okay, dos numeros two's," I started to prepare the order. "Anything else?"

  I heard a few snickers before a reply came. "Yeah, some advice. How do I get an awesome job like yours?" The people on the other end burst into laughter while I rolled my eyes.

  "So that's two, 'we're not as funny as we think we are' combos with a side of 'bite me'," I shot back and the laughter cut off.

  "What'd you say?" The person demanded, using that 'I'm a tough guy' tone.

  I grabbed the microphone and spoke right into it, before slamming the orders on the pickup counter. "At the window, sir."

  Not a few moments later, a grey car pulled up to the window, grabbed the bags and sped off before I could do anything.

  "Hey!" I yelled. "You- have to pay for that."

  I was so tempted to smack my head with the wall. Typical.

  As I walked out of KO Burger, my mood still sour from earlier, my phone rang and I quickly picked up, seeing it was my mom calling.

  "Hey mom," I said. "Yeah, I just got off- Hm? No, I'm not going to the dance. Experience suggests I should never cut a rug. Unless I'm stowing a carpet- Be careful? Seriously? This is Jasper."

  My voice trailed off as I saw the motorcycle parked in front of the diner. For a second, I was speechless. The motorcycle was gorgeous, the type that everyone dreamed they had. It was... perfect.

  "I love you," I said, breathlessly towards the motorcycle before realizing I was still on the phone. "Wha- Oh, I love you too, Mom. I gotta go."

  I hung up and ran a hand down the motorcycle.

  "Hello, beautiful," I muttered, admiring the motorcycle and swinging a leg over it, sitting on the smooth leather. "Where have you been all my life? It may take a few KO paychecks, but I will own a ride like you someday."

  That was when I heard laughter behind me. I turned and saw Sierra, one of the prettiest girls in Jasper, plus one of her friends laughing at me.

  "Are you talking to your motorcycle?" Sierra asked, still laughing.

  "My motorcycle?" I stuttered, rubbing the back of my neck. "No, I mean, yes, yes! It's mine, but I-I'm not talking, it was to you I- I am-" I mentally groaned and tried again. "How's things, Sierra? Take you for a spin sometime?"

  I thought I heard another voice, like a woman's voice, but then I shoved that out of my mind.

  "You know my name?" Sierra asked, looking surprised, which was funny because everyone in Jasper, Nevada, knew everyone.

  "We're in homeroom together," I offered. "I'm Jack, Jack Darby."

  Sierra was about to reply when two pairs of headlights blinded us. I looked behind the two girls to see two identical, dark purple-grey cars straight ahead. They revved their engines before charging at us. Sierra and her friend screamed and ran, while the motorcycle I was on revved it's engine too. Then the motorcycle spun on its own, popped a wheelie, and speed right between the two purple-grey cars, which were charging at us. The motorcycle sped towards the road, with me still on it.

  "Do not let go!" A woman's voice said.

  "Who said that?!" I cried, but tightened my grip on the steering handles nevertheless. The motorcycle was still speeding away from the two cars, but I was more concerned about not letting go and becoming roadkill. The motorcycle pulled into a back alley and pulled to a stop. I took the opportunity to jump off.

  "What are you?" I asked, backing away from the motorcycle.

  "I don't exist," The motorcycle replied, it's voice dead serious. "Tell anyone about me and I will hunt you down."

  With that, it spun around and drove out of the alley. I was frozen for a second before I came to my senses and ran as fast as I could out of there. But then I heard the sound of an engine and saw one of the purple-grey cars chasing after me.

  "I don't even know her!" I yelled back at it but it didn't seem to care. It sped up, now nipping at my heels, when the motorcycle reappeared in front of me.

  "Hop on!" It called and I did, wanting to get away from that grey-purple car. We raced back to the road and started speeding down the highway that lead out of here. I glanced behind us at the two cars chasing us and saw the pair shooting at us with gun that emerged from their hoods.

  "Why are those guys shooting at us?" I demanded, my voice shaking with fear.

  "There is no us, kid," The motorcycle replied. "And they're no guys."

  I looked back again to see a yellow and black muscle car slam into one of the grey-purple cars.

  "Friend of yours?" I asked the motorcycle. Great, now I'm talking to it too.

  "Family," It-she-the motorcycle replied. We kept speeding away as the grey-purple cars followed. Now the yellow car was ramming into the two cars chasing us, diverting their attention away from us, all while I wondered what did I do to get myself into this mess.