Chapter Seventeen

Episode 10 - Deus Ex Machina

[Amanda]

  "Listen, I understand there have been some setbacks, but I'm not cancelling this entire operation," I said into my phone, trying my hardest not to lose my cool as I paced in front of the high school, waiting for Optimus to pick me up. "This is important to the people living in the area and I'm not going to leave them to fall back into the hole we've been trying to help them out of."

  "Miss Beckett, it simply isn't feasible with our new programs," Everett Clovis, the chief of departments at BeckIT, replied. "We simply don't have enough people to complete this project."

  I held back an exasperated groan. "That's why I said hire the Indigenous people of the area. They can help out their community while also making an income that will help their families."

  "But-"

  "Mr.Clovis, I understand you want the best for the company, but I want the best for the people who trust it. Get some people from tactics to look into hiring locals and then email me the details." I said before hanging up and rubbing my temples. Everything was becoming a bit too much nowadays, from school to the company I'm supposed to be running to the whole business with the Autobots. It seemed like I was all over the place lately.

  Step back on BeckIT, the rational part of my mind said. I truly considered it, since I technically didn't own the company until I turned eighteen, but I couldn't help but feel guilty every time I thought about handing it over to someone else until then. Mom had carried the company while also working with the military, so I should be able to do this.

  The thought of my mother brought me back to one that plagued my mind ever since I learnt about it. For the past week, I've been doing everything I could to find out who Silas of MECH was, and where he came from, but so far I had nothing more than what the Autobots learnt during the DNGS fiasco last week. I had hacked into government databases, looking for records of him in every scholarly database out there, I even checked Twitter, and found nothing. The man was a ghost, but he wouldn't be for long.

  "You look stressed," A voice said and I turned to see Jack walking up to stand next to me, Raf hot on his trail. "Is it the English essay due on Friday?"

  I shook my head. "I completely forgot about that actually."

  "Then it's a good thing you have three days to finish it," he said, trying for a smile, which I returned.

  "Where's Miko?" I asked, noticing the lack of the loud girl.

  "Detention," Raf said. "Again."

  The sound of a motorcycle and muscle car engine made the three of us look up to see Arcee and Bumblebee driving towards us. Jack headed towards Arcee, while Bumblebee pulled up in front of us. He let out a series of buzzes, and I looked to Raf for the translation.

  "Bee said Optimus is out right now and he wouldn't make it back in time to pick you up," Raf translated. "So Bee's offered to take you with me."

  "Thanks, Bumblebee," I said as I slid into the backseat. The scout buzzed a happy reply before driving after Arcee towards the base. My phone chimed from its spot in my school bag and I pulled it out to read the text.

  Miko: Stuck with the evil teach. Plz send backup.

  Me: U got urself into this one

  Miko: Ur eeeeeevil

~~

  As Bulkhead pulled into the base with Miko ten minutes before her detention was supposed to end, I was halfway through writing my English essay and could already tell what their small argument was about. Arcee and Bumblebee went out on patrol, Optimus was still out, so only me, Jack, Raf, and Ratchet were in the base until the other two arrived.