Chapter Twenty

[Amanda]

  "What?!" Everyone in the base said at the same time, horror in all of our tones.

  "That's not possible!" Ratchet sputtered.

  "Well, I'm staring right at him," Arcee said. "The good news is Megatron isn't exactly staring back."

  "Mega-tron." Optimus said, his voice getting even worse. I put a hand back on his cheek, watching as his eyes flickered a bit more. This wasn't good. Megatron couldn't outlive Optimus, it was just... wrong.

  "He's critical," Arcee informed us. I wish we could see what they're seeing. "Hooked up to life support. Time to finish this once and for all."

  "Wait!" Ratchet exclaimed. "Don't!"

  "One good reason, fast."

  "Megatron may be Optimus' only hope for survival."

  There was a long pause before Arcee replied. "What are you talking about?"

  "Does he display brain wave activity?" Ratchet asked.

  "Spiking hard. His sick mind is still at work."

  "Perfect," Everyone in the base shot Ratchet a confused look, causing him to explain. "If a cure exists, Megatron may be the only one who knows it. You must enter his brain and find is."

  "Enter Megatron's brain?!" Arcee said. "Ratchet are you out of your fragging mind?"

  Ratchet shook his head. "The Decepticon laboratory should contain all the equipment you need for a cortical psychic patch."

  "No way," she said immediately. "Have you ever even performed the procedure?"

  "No." the medic admitted. "But I have thoroughly studied the theoretical literature. Invented by Decepticons, outlawed by Autobots."

  "Can't we just haul Megatron through the ground bridge to buy us some time to figure this out?"

  "Time is the one thing that Optimus does not have! One of you must try this! I will not allow Optimus to pass knowing that Megatron will outlive him!"

  I looked to the Prime, whose eyes were trying to keep up with the conversation. He looked like he was going to say something, but I shook my head when his gaze went to me.

  "Ratchet, I would lay down my life for Optimus," Arcee was arguing. "Anytime, anywhere. But a mind-body split-"

  Bumblebee buzzed something.

  "You will?" Arcee asked, and I assumed he had just offered to go into Megatron's mind.

  "Are you... sure, Bumblebee?" Raf asked, fear laced in his tone. This confirmed my thoughts.

  Bulkhead turned to Raf. "Bee's the best scout there is."

  I saw Jack and Miko comfort Raf, who still looked fearful for the scout. This was a mess. Optimus was dying right in front of me, Bee was going to go inside Megatron's head, and not to mention the fact that Megatron isn't dead, even after he should have blown up with his space bridge. My hands scrubbed over my face. Things really were falling apart.

  "Do not despair, child."

  I snapped to attention, looking around. Someone had definitely said that, but no one seemed to have just said anything. The voice was feminine, but the only girl around was Miko, and she hardly sounded like that voice. Still, it was familiar-

  "Ratchet, we're ready." Arcee's voice broke through my thoughts and brought my attention back to the mission at hand.

  The medic nodded grimly. "Initiate cortical psychic patch." He rapidly began typing on his keyboard before saying, "Communications downlink activated. This will allow us to see and hear everything Bumblebee does while within Megatron's subconscious mind."