Chapter 2

We enter the train, waving one last good bye to the citizens of the Capital. As soon as the train doors close, I drop my tired arm. I'd been waving non-stop for the last half hour. Kyrsta Razz, our district mentor, turns to us. Her hair is cobalt blue, with black ends and black eyes to match. Her nails are always at least two inches long and change almost everyday. Right now they are sea green. To match her green, sparkly dress I assume.

The dress itself has only a left shoulder strap and comes down to her knees. Its sticks in the middle around her waist, protruding like a life buoy from District Four. "I expect you both to be fully rested for tomorrow. Your day, the glorious day of the beginning of the spread of your fame starts tomorrow!!" I glance over at Cato. Obviously Kyrsta doesn't know how to shorten her sentences. "So you better be prepared, unless you want to be disgraced."

Shaking a finger at us, she tries to look stern as she finishes up. I sigh as she walks away. Turning to Cato I say in a perfect Kyrsta imitation, "Well, once tomorrow comes, the glorious day of the beginning of the spread of our fame starts." Cato grins and we both break out in laughter. It takes us a minute to calm down. I stifle a yawn. Cato sees it and kisses my forehead. "You get some rest alright? Have to follow the escort's orders!" I grin at him, "Yes Your Highness." He squares his shoulders, standing like a king or something. "Off to bed with you now Princess Clove. And sleep well, that's an order." I give him a curtsy, before heading to my rooms, closing the door, and laughing once more behind it.

* * *

The worst thing when you're sleeping, is you can't control what you dream. And my dreams are more like sick and twisted nightmares. I open my eyes, to see her blonde bloody hair. Eyes large like gems, throwing venomous stares at me. A cruel curved mouth looking dangerously down at me. All belonging to Glimmer. She holds a knife in her hands, the knife is dripping velvety red blood. She places the tip of the knife on my cheek before slowly, and painfully, dragging it down my face.

I scream. That only makes Glimmer's grin grow wider as blood starts oozing out of the cut. She moves onto my forehead, when I hear a masculine voice cry out. I know that voice. I don't want to look because it is overflowing with pain. I feel Glimmer's cold fingers, they feel like talons, forcing my face towards the sound of the agonized voice. I clench my eyes shut. Another hand of Glimmer's pries them open. I try to resist and find that I am powerless to.

My eyes meet those of my beloved. Cato. He's being ripped apart by some dreaded mutt that looks like a cross between a bear and a wolf. I feel a tear roll down my cheek, but I don't cry out. My voice won't make the words, or so I think. Because when the mutts teeth reach Cato's face, his voice contains more pain and agony than I ever thought it could. My mouth opens and I scream out for him. Take me instead! Not Cato, anyone but him!

The mutt looks up at me, his mouth dripping with blood--- and I sit up in bed screaming my head off. I am covered in sweat. I keep screaming, I can't stop. I hear a door open and close, but even then I can't shut off the dreadful noise. I feel Cato's arms wrap around me, pulling me to his strong torso. I lay in his arms, on his lap I sit. My mouth is still open but no sound comes forth. He just rocks me whispering over and over, "I'm here Clove, I've got you. Its okay." Eyes wide I look up at him. I need his touch, need to feel that he is here with me, that the nightmare wasn't a reality. I pull his lips down to mine and kiss him, hard. I feel him kiss me back with loving passion. But unfortunately I don't last long, drifting back to a now dreamless sleep as my lips remain on his.