20. No One

20. No One...

Seven months. Hange's been studying Levine for seven months and so far, she is nowhere near in deciphering the mystery of his unexplainable ability to destroy a titan's body. However, she did took note of some variables and rules on his abilities that helped Levine control it.

-When Levine is in a certain range (2-3 meters), the titan will sense his presence and send a sudden feeling of fear.

Eren described the fear he always feel as a spine-chilling and fear-of-death kind of fear. Like how human feel during the first time of seeing a titan.

-His ability is more active during noon that morning while it is more active during morning than the afternoon.

Hange made an experiment in three days in a row, testing what time his power is more active and she proved that it is more vigorous during noon, right after 12:00, less during morning, after 6:30 and least when it is in the afternoon when it's around 4-5:30.

Unfortunately and weirdly enough, Levine's hair also have a certain effect on his abilities. Maybe even a reason why there are days he cannot tame his hair.

-Untamed hair: faster decomposition (4 minutes below, whole body)
-Tamed hair: normal decomposition (4 minutes, whole body)
-Sticky hair: slower decomposition (5-15 minutes, whole body)

But the real big question is...

"How did Levine acquired his ability?" she muttered while she review her notes about Levine inside her office. Her hand is under her chin and she hummed, thinking deep, but nothing came into mind. Another experiment and maybe a few more interrogation. That would be essential, but Levine repeatedly deny that he knows how he did acquire this ability.

"Come on, Hange. You're the brains so you must..." she paused and remembered Armin. Yeah! He's a smart kid! Why didn't she thought of asking his help? That would be a great idea!

When she was about to run out of her office to go and search for him, she suddenly remembered that it was in the middle of the night and Armin might sound asleep in his room right now. It would be rude if she tried waking him up this late.

"I'm such an idiot..."

---

When Levine woke up in the morning, he went to the mess hall with nothing seems wrong. This looks like a good day for him. This gets him in a good mood, sitting with the squad, but being quiet as usual and coming to training without making any troubles. The others also noticed his good mood and smiled at it. It's rare to see him with this vibe.

"Hey, Levine. You seem very, well, good today. There's a fresh aura around you and it's spreading everywhere! Did something happened?" Eren asked while they're in a break. Levine is on top of his usual tree that he even claimed to be his own now. Never even let anyone climb it besides him. Levi even said that he's becoming childish about it.

"Yeah, it's weird seeing you not muttering curses under your breath or lashing out on Levi," Connie said, sitting down under the tree with a catnip in hand, swaying it around.

"Tch, what are you talking about? Everything's normal," Levine answered looking up the sky and closing his eyes. His eyes are very, very tired. He barely gets enough sleep. Three hours the minimal and four hours the maximum. It even affects Yami.

"Besides from thinking about Historia? Yeah, everything's pretty normal," Yami said, sitting across him on another tree. Even Yami can't climb his precious tree. Levine glared at him and looked down below to Eren and Connie.

"Really? You look a lot happier lately, though," Eren said and there was a sudden rustling sound on a bush nearby. That took the three young boys' attention. Then, a grey cat appeared in the bushes, scratching its ears. Connie smiled and waved his catnip at it.

"What's that?" Levine asked and the two turned to him with a surprised expression while the cat pawed its way to them.

"You haven't seen a cat before?" Connie asked and he felt the cat tug his catnip so he started playing with it.

"Not once," Levine replied and Yami chuckled.

"And baby Levine began asking his godparents about the mystery of an adorable furry creature called a cat," Levine scowled at him and he jumped down next to Eren and watch Connie and the cat. Connie pull the catnip higher every time the cat tried to get it, letting out its claws.

"Where do you think it came from?" Eren asked, looking around, "There's no houses for miles. Do you think it's a stray?"

"A stray with a collar? Look a little closer, doofus," Levine said and Eren noticed a brown straw by the cat's neck and a little stone hanging from it. It's an improvised collar.

"Eh? How did it got here?" he exclaimed and before the cat could get a good grip of the catnip, Sasha's voice came calling from the rest of the group. Connie dropped the catnip and patted the cat before they approach the group.

"Yeah, yeah! Don't eat my food, Sasha!" Connie yelled and ran towards them. Levine followed but stopped and watch the cat scurry away to the direction it came from. But another thing caught his eyes. A silhouette of yellow and white behind a tree a feeling that something will happened.

Night time arrived and Levine snuck out of his room to his tree to climb it up and look at the stars. It's now part of his usual routine. The stars just captivated him in the first time he laid eyes on them and never once he thought that they're not pretty, twinkling up there.

Although, looking at stars is not the only thing that keeps him up every night until he feel sleepy.

He heard footsteps coming in and some grass rustling as Levine sigh and look down seeing a figure in a coat and a hood up.

"You're a troublesome queen, aren't you?" he said and the figure raised its head up and sheepishly smiled at him, blue eyes looking bright in this dark night, "Historia."

The petite blonde scratches her cheeks and gives out a sheepish laugh and sighed. A few days ago, she can't sleep like she normally do and decided to sneak out and go to the Survey Headquarters. Coincidentally, Levine caught her and they decided to keep it a secret.

"I can't sleep again today. But I'm getting a lot better, though," she said and lean against the tree.

"Good for you. At least you feel tired. I don't," Levine said and noticed a familiar grey cat passing by, "The cat."

"What?"

"The cat from earlier. It kept on coming back here," he answered, jumping down the tree as the cat ran towards him. It meowed and purred as it nuzzled its head to his legs. Historia smiled, seeing this.

"Maybe because it likes you," Levine clicked his tongue and pried the cat off him, walking away.

"Well, I don't, so keep it away from me," he coldly said, walking away. The cat meowed again as it looks at him and the petite blonde frowned and glared at Levine.

"You're so cold, Levine. How can you be so cold to an innocent looking creature like this?" she asked, picking up the cat. Levine stopped on his tracks and took a side glance towards them.

"Because innocent people doesn't deserve to be around people like me. I'll ruin everything," he plainly and walked off, leaving Historia with the cat.