Mother?

I thought things would be different now. New job, new house, new life. But...I was wrong. Because nothing will ever work out for Park Hunji. Nothing.

I walk into the door of the house I've been living in for three months. My dog, Ki, runs and jumps on my legs. I pick him up and kiss his forehead before he cuddles into my chest. So fluffy. It's nine o'clock at night, which is when I usually get home. After school and work, all I want is my bed. I'm almost there. I can feel my head hitting the soft plush of my pillows without even being in my room yet. My fingers almost touch the doorknob when.

"Hun *hiccup* ji!"

That awful, vindictive voice. Drunk as usual. I try to open my door as quickly as possible when I'm stopped again.

"I need you to meet someone."

Who knew that six words could make a person want to kill themselves.

"Sweetie, this is Kim Cochi." My mom introduced the man next to her.

"Conci."

As the man corrects her, I roll my light grey eyes.

"This will be your new stepfather." She told me.

How many is this now? Three? Seven? Way too many for any woman. This woman is a drunk. A drunk who is my mother, sadly. Every couple of months, she brings home a new guy she got married to at a church with Elvis as the preacher. They end up becoming my, "stepfather", until she cheats on them, or they cheat on her.

"Hey porky, while you're just standing there, make some lunch for me and Conci?" My mother asked me.

I'm fat, I get it, well at least I am in my new home of Korea. I take Ki and myself inside of my room and lock the door. Despite all of the constant yelling for me to go back in there, I just didn't want to hear it. Like any other day, I just sit in my room and cry. I always think about how much of a failure I am, how many mistakes I made, what I should have done to correct it. Like today at work, I spilled a man's coffee on him by accident. He returned with a shout in my face calling me an, 'incompetent pig'. A new one to add to my book of insults. I cry for hours about these little things, knowing I'll have puffy eyelids. I sit with my dog in my lap, he always tries to cheer me up by doing tricks and scooting his bottom across my carpet like they do in cartoons. This animal keeps me sane.

I take my books from my bag and start studying for my midterm. It's usually quiet and blissful when I study, but the constant headboard banging against the wall is making me lose focus. I have to get out of here. I put my books in my bag along with some clothes and hop out of my window. With my dog of course. I walk two blocks over to my favorite house.

I knock on the door and patiently wait for someone to answer.

"Hi, hello, annyeong?"

My best friend Shownu opens the door.

"Shownu!"
"Hunji!"
"May I come in?"

He scoots his body to the side and gestures for me to come in. He takes Ki out of my arms and closes the door.

"So, What brings you by, Hunji?" Shownu asks when we sit on the couch.
"My mom brought home another stepdad."

His face becomes softer.

"I'm sorry." He apologizes.
"Don't be, if she didn't I wouldn't be here."

He laughed his monotone laugh and pinched my chubby cheeks.

"Are you staying the night here, Hunji?" Shownu's Mom asks while coming from her room.
"Yes ma'am, if it's alright with you."

She walks from the room to give me a hug and a kiss on my cheek.

"Of course dear. Are you hungry?" She asks out of habit.

I think back to what that man had said earlier to me today.

"N-no ma'am, I'm not hungry."
"Sweetie you're not fat, what do you want?"

She smiled brightly.

"Pork?" I answer her.

She nods in assurance.

"How about you, Ki?"

My dog barked twice.

"Cooked beef it is. How are your brothers, Hunji?" She asks.

"They are fine, we haven't seen each other in a while." I answer.

She nods and walks into the kitchen to start cooking.

"I'll be back Hunji." Shownu tells me before walking away to another part of the house.

"So who did your mom bring home this time?" Mrs.Sohn asks me.
"Some dude named Kim Conci."
"The Kim Conci?"
"I don't know, maybe. I don't want him here." I cross my arms.
"He's very successful, I heard he has a successful nephew, handsome too."

She winked at me. I roll my eyes and scoff.

"It's not like he'll even notice me, he'll probably just laugh at me."
"Be quiet. It's okay, Hunji, you're not that overweight. Hyunwoo's father loved me even though I was heavier."
"Yes, I did! And I still do."

I laugh as I watch Shownu's dad dance from their bedroom.

"What are you doing just sitting there, go put your thing in Hyunwoo's room, and tell him to come down for dinner."

I nod and bow slightly. I exit the living room and head towards his bedroom. I felt happier here. After my dad died when i was five, it took me a while to open up again. He was my best friend, he protected me.

I walk into Shownu's room and find him changing his shirt.

"Oh, I-I'm sorry." I stutter as I feel my cheeks getting warm.
"It's fine, Hunji. You've seen me shirtless before."

He chuckles. My eyes travel from his face down to his stomach. Abs....his abs. So beautiful. Want. To. Touch.

"Are you okay, Hunji? Get changed so we can eat."

My heart starts to beat faster.

"Uh can you leave first?"
He laughs at me.
"Are you self-conscious?" He asks while looking into my eyes.

I nod slowly and look down at the floor. He comes in front of my and wraps his strong arms around my waist.

"You're perfect, Hunji, remember that."

He kisses my forehead and goes into the bathroom. I feel my cheeks which are burning. I shake the new memory from my head and change into a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie. I know how his family loves to eat comfortably.