Chapter 44 - It's my time to leave

[Shorter chapter but earlier update at least lol xD]

Cara's POV

Few minutes passed with me standing in my place, not moving, just staring at the door ahead of me. A million thoughts tumbled across my mind and more minutes went to waste, all spent in contemplation, of how can I break such news to him or how his reaction would be, is it for the best or not? Should I just postpone it to other time or just face it right now?

I don't know. I really don't. I am still in shock, still trying to recover from what my eyes witnessed a few hours ago, still trying to make sense whether this is good or bad. And the terrifying part was I didn't know if this would break him, or fix him.

I pulled the air back to my lungs and made my mind. Truth is, I can't hide such thing from him, no matter what the consequences would be. At least, I'll be by his side, I'll help him like he always helps me.

I unlocked the door and stepped inside the house. I took off my coat and my eyes roamed around searching for him. After I left the hospital, I searched almost everywhere but couldn't find him, after asking Tony, he told me that they finished their work and he went back home. He must have arrived not so long ago. 

I walked further inside but the sudden sound of glass shattering made me halt in my steps, my eyes widened before I immediately followed where the voice came from. I stopped by the living room's door, my eyes first fell on Alex who had his eyes glued to the laptop's screen then to the glass shattered by his feet. My heart dropped to my stomach, something didn't feel right.

I didn't waste more time, I scurried forward till I reached his side. Trying my best not to step on the glass pieces scattered on the ground, I sat down right by him. My hand went to his arm, "Alex?" I said, worry evident in my tone. He turned his head to me and my entire being quaked with a jolt of pain. It was all in his eyes, it's always in the eyes. My hand went to his cheek, my palm rested on his hot skin and I tried to pull the words from my throat, "What's wrong?"

"She..she is-" He started, words betrayed him and nothing else came out. He shook his head before he turned his head back to the laptop, "It's just..it doesn't make sense." He backed away making my hand drop from his face before he got to his feet. He stepped away, as if trying to run away from something. He roughed a palm over his face, "It can't be true." He said, more to himself and he fisted his hair. His voice lowered, "Goddamn it, what are they trying to do to me?"

I stood up as well and edged forward. My nerves skittered at his bewildered actions, "Alex, what do you mean?"

He lifted his head, he shook it almost as if he couldn't believe it, "She was..alive." He said, "She didn't die that day.. and that may mean that.." His eyebrows pulled together as if he just realized something, and his voice dropped way lower, "It means she may still be alive now."

I slammed my eyes shut as realization dawned on me, he knows.  

I pried them open and gathered all the courage I have left in me and nodded my head, "It's true." I said, "She is still alive." Confusion enveloped his features and I continued, "I was just about to tell you, I knew about this just a few hours ago, I searched everywhere for you, and when I knew you went back home, I came to tell you-"

Lines formed between his brows, "What?"

"I saw her today," I confessed. "She is staying in that asylum Nikolas owns."

Shock dilated his brown eyes and he took two steps backward. His lips parted but words betrayed him again and nothing came out. The muscles in his jaw worked, something else took over his eyes before he turned around and angrily took off. I immediately followed him, my fingers reached for his arm from the back, "Alex, wait." I tried to say but he tore his arm away from my reach and opened the door. He marched forward, heading toward the car. I hurried my steps and walked past him, I stepped in front of him blocking his way, "Where are you going?"