Chapter 18 - Can you heal it ?

Cara's POV

I stared at my phone screen seeing Nikolas's name flash through it, I couldn't help the way my stomach tightened in knots.

I swallowed hard and debated myself whether I should answer it or not-

Roman said that he left, he doesn't know i am here, he thinks i am at the hotel, right ?

I think i should answer, for him not to get suspicious. I took in a deep breath and pressed the answer button. I placed the phone to my ear and no words were able to form out of my mouth.

I heard his low breath before he lowly said, "Hey."

My eyes closed, my other hand fisted around the blanket. His voice even from far away still control me in a way I don't like.

I opened my eyes, "What do you want?" I asked blankly.

"I just wanted to check up on you." He said, his tone normal. Not angry or cold, just - normal.

"I disappeared without saying anything." He said, "Tomorrow they will take you back to London but i am not going, something came up, i have to fix it, so i may not be able to come for a week or so-"

"Best news i've heard in a while." My eyes widened when the sentence left my mouth. It came out without my permission. Why can't i control my big mouth ?

He didn't shout or snap or even sound annoyed by my comment as usual. He just let a low tired sigh and stayed silent.

"Did Lilly sleep ? I wanted to talk with her." He said, at his words, my eyes traveled to my baby girl to see her still peacefully sleeping, i inched closer and gently ran my hand in her hair, "She is sleeping."

I let out a sigh, "She cried a lot and asked about you-"

I shook my head and stopped myself. I don't even know why i am telling him that.

"I will talk with her tomorrow." He said, softness almost detectable in his tone, "Kiss her for me."

I couldn't help but speak my thoughts out this time, "Why you care about Lilly this much."

He didn't answer immediately. I waited as my fingers nervously fidgeted with the blanket.

"She is just special."

"What do you mean ?" I asked. It just doesn't make any sense.

"She is -" he paused then let out a sigh, "Never mind."

I shook my head ignoring the way my heart was beating, "Okay do you want anything else?" I said as i ran my hand in my hair. I just couldn't handle his voice anymore. I still don't feel free, I still feel myself chained to him somehow.

I feel that no matter how hard i try to break free, he'll just be there to catch me again.

"I will just -" he started, his voice so soft, "I will just miss you."

My eyes widened a bit, i sat straight, "Okay seriously Nikolas, what's happening ?" I asked, unable to hide the shock behind my words.

"What ?" He asked sounding confused.

"Why you are being kind of - nice ?" I asked, "For the past days you are acting differently, what do you want, is there something you are planning behind this ?" My voice raised involuntary, it's just i feel something fishy behind his actions.