♕ 1 | 3 ♕

Act 1 Chapter 13JAYLAH

Act 1 Chapter 13
JAYLAH

The city of Zotstaff may have only been across the channel from Celanti, but it was noticeably different from the small island nation. For one, Celanti was a very manageable size. This, on the other hand, was clearly on a much larger scale, with people moving wherever the eye could see. It was not that the streets were chock full of citizens, it was just that there were so many more than anywhere in Celanti and even home.

And secondly, Celanti was a peaceful place filled with flowers, wildlife and soft beaches. The atmosphere was one of home and warmth. Ition was already standing out to me as contrary to those things. It was flashier, vivider, darker. And more mysterious, as if it could easily have something to hide.

I supposed it was safe to believe here the passerby would not eye me as if I had suddenly sprouted a second head for carrying my swords so openly.

As we made the transition from hill to city, I glanced off in the distance, where Heaven's Bridge loomed over the rooftops. It was a world famous tourist attraction—a gargantuan natural arch over the mouth of the river where it met the ocean. I squinted against the afternoon light sifting through thick clouds to see the buildings perched all over its green back.

After only a few moments, we appeared to have entered into a market area. Vendors called out to passerby in the Eastern Language, trying to tempt them into spending money on every product under the sun.

My attention latched on to the shiny things Khan was eyeing. Gold-plated silverware—though likely not real gold. And more specifically, gold-plated serrated knives for cutting through meat and bone.

"Do not even consider it, Khan," I spoke in a low voice.

"What?"

"You need not take that tone, you have likely never been innocent a day in your life. You must think me to be a fool if you believe I cannot see you staring wistfully at those blades."

"It would only be fair for me to have one." We squeezed through a particularly dense crowd. "You have your swords, after all."

"I would be much more inclined to let you arm yourself if your first act with a weapon would not be to behead me."

"I wouldn't behead you," he said, and paused, making me think he was done speaking. But then he switched to Oceanic, adding, "That would be too easy."

"Is that so." I was not impressed. "What were you planning to do while swinging that knife for my throat in my quarters, torture me for hours on end?"