♕ 1 | 0 | 7 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 107JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 107
JAYLAH

Adrik's fork scraped against his plate, cutting through the tense silence. It seemed to be his plea for his betrothed and his father to make conversation, to revert back to how they always were. But Jaylah was tired of bending and playing maid. Ermalai was below her station. The only shame was how long it took her to be worn down by his spitefulness.

Jaylah continued to eat her melon, which were balled and cut into the shapes of flower blossoms. She pulled a faux petal off with her teeth, well aware of the Czar's attention hyper-fixated on every move she made, hating all of them. Adrik's restlessness fed off his father's displeasure, growing to the point that she could actually see the threads in his mind being pulled apart. He was unable to fix this, which seemed to drive him mad.

It was a blessing for him when breakfast was over at last, though Jaylah was perfectly content to watch Ermalai stew. "Thank you," Adrik said to their server as she gathered their plates, his voice a new loud contrast. "You always show us the upmost service. And the food is never anything short of spectacular."

"Oh," the girl squeaked, the tips of her ears going red. "It's my duty to serve you to the best of my ability."

"In that case, I want you serving us more often." The server girl tried for a real laugh, but it came out weak in her nervousness. She could not meet Adrik's eye.

When the servants had exited, Jaylah leaned toward him. "Be careful of how friendly you are with the staff. They may see it as too friendly for a man soon to be married."

This was Ermalai's opportunity and he jumped to take it. "Are you accusing my son of flirting with the servants?"

"I am not accusing him of anything, rather warning him of how certain friendships may be perceived by the court." His own words thrown back at him.

Instead of further arguing with her, Ermalai closed his stance to Jaylah, saying in a low voice to his son, "You are a Czarevich. You may do whatever you wish behind closed doors." Completely disregarding Jaylah's command.

He ignored her completely to instruct his son who was really more hers than he was his father's. She was the one who had to be convinced to marry him, not the other way around. When she told Ermalai off yesterday, he looked utterly appalled. She wanted to see it again.

Refuse to bend.

"As your Empress," she stressed, calling both their attentions, "I expect my warnings will be heeded. No one may give orders on my behalf, much less while I stand before them." She made her voice a fraction sweeter. "After all, we must ensure the ruse is believed by everyone. Just as you wanted, correct, Ermalai?"

The Czar's lips were thin and white as paper. "Correct. Your Majesty."

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕