♕ 8 | 2 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 82JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 82
JAYLAH

Jaylah felt as though she had been struck across the face. She knew Alexander would not take her abandonment well, but after everything they went through together, after what he knew it meant to do so, he still went back to her father's side.

One of Ermalai's advisors was speaking, but Jaylah could not hear him. Noise buzzed in her ears as she did her best to ignore his presence in the room. After all, they were not the only people present. There was no need for it to feel that way. She was strong and had managed to weather a thousand other storms without a single waver. Alexander was not different.

Jaylah always knew his end goal. She was foolish to occasionally believe it may have changed. While she had no idea how he escaped his master or how he arrived there, she had to begrudgingly laud his knack for manipulation, for he was back against all odds to finish the job. As he always promised.

The idea filled her with icy dread. And lesser disappointment that slunk behind bars in her mind, but she was careful to avoid that. This was no time for such a feeble emotion.

"—wouldn't you agree, Your Majesty?" Ermalai's red-haired advisor directed towards Jaylah, snapping her back into her senses.

She tilted her head as if seeking to intimidate. "Tell me why you believe that would be beneficial for both of our nations."

Looking at her as if she was insane, he went on. "Well, if we each decide to send royal soldiers out into our respective halves of the sea, the likelihood of piracy will of course plummet. As of now, they are utterly unchecked. They sail at will, thieving from royal ships. Yours included."

Jaylah's question had been ridiculous for the topic he brought up, but she would sooner die than admit her mind had been at another place. "You misunderstand me. Why do you only seek to push back the pirates now, and not these previous months when I was absent. Or prior?" This was directed toward Ermalai. She wanted them to be reminded of his quietness when it came to doing things not directly profitable for himself.

"My future daughter-in-law was nearly killed by pirate activity," Ermalai said across the table with an almost-smile. "Is that not enough reason?"

His advisor looked strained. "We have had to avert our resources elsewhere as we've focused on the infrastructure of our own country. Within our borders mainly. Because the majority of our exporting shipments sail west, the pirates have not proven as large a problem. But as they showed with the attack upon your royal ships, they have grown too cocky from years of being unruled. We cannot take another chance that any royal ships—Navrikan nor Oceanic—will be attacked without fear. They will be made to respect us."

Jaylah dipped my chin. "Very good. I approve wholeheartedly. We must also be in contact with Ition, as the pirates return to land there to become rich."