♕ 9 | 0 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 90JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 90
JAYLAH

The maids were prepared to update Jaylah on their mission the next morning. Though she did not give any indication she was more than pleased at their fast work, satisfaction shone through the barriers of the cage Ermalai hoped to keep her in. "Tell me everything," she said as they knelt, heads bowed.

"To our knowledge, there are two men in the Navrikan company who wear the rings you described," the maid with the darkest hair said. "The first is one you have had known contact with: a young man by the name of Alexander Khan. Unlike the other Navrikans, most of which are nobles and advisors, we do not know his station in the Navrikan court. Only that he is close to the Czar."

"Interesting," Jaylah said, and nothing more.

The gap-toothed maid spoke next. "The second is a nobleman named Vadik Dmitrievich, who does not appear to be as close to the Czar, yet is still important enough to be brought here. His estate is that closest to the Czar's city of residence, the City of Gold. It is likely the Czar wished for his company to solidify their bonds as the poor get more desperate outside the city."

Jaylah took in the information, let it be sifted through the files of what she already knew. So Ermalai hoped to fight two battles: one securing his throne and the other securing hers for himself.

Rather than simply dismiss them, she said, "Give me your names."

"I am Voula Maniatakou, Majesty," said the maid with the darkest braids beneath her cap.

"Glykeria Michaelou," the one with the gap between her white teeth said with a curtsy.

"And I am Kriti Simea." Mirroring Glykeria's curtesy, her pale face was lowered in respect.

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance," Jaylah said, fixing them all with a look she hoped was not too severe. "I believe you three will do nicely."

With that, Jaylah exited her quarters in search of Antinoch. She had to go to her mother's garden.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

Vadik Dmitrievich was dead.

Rumors were already swirling around the court behind protective palms when Jaylah passed through the main hall early in the morning two days later. One courtier had heard he was found in his bed as limp and pale as the fish sold in seaside markets. Another gossiped about how the body had been uncovered with missing eyes. The work of some horror of legend.

But that was not true. The poison never left a trace.

At once, Antinoch was at her side, and by the tightness in her mouth and jaw, Jaylah knew she had heard the news and worried for what it meant. She now was able to read Antinoch well enough to know she had something to tell Jaylah that could not be revealed with an audience. So she waited until they had turned down a less habited hallway to say, "First thing this morning, the Czar's man Khan requested a hearing with you."