♕ 1 | 5 | 9 ♕

Act 4 Chapter 159JAYLAH

Act 4 Chapter 159
JAYLAH

The air was tinged with odd tension as Jaylah strode to the balcony where her new general would be giving his introduction speech to the ranks assembled below. She was escorted by people whose names she did not know, whose faces were not comforting. Marching to an event she did not have enough energy to care about.

Through the open doors ahead, she could see the sea. Alexander was out there somewhere finally trying to help himself. She hoped he would not forget about her too soon.

There was a steady buzz of noise ahead, not from the troops, who she expected would be standing at attention, but from the officers, the higher-ups who would stand with her. As Jaylah joined them on the balcony, the world fell to a hush. Not a single soul even dared to move for fear of doing it wrong.

Jaylah's downtrodden mood shrunk back a bit as she recalculated the situation.

"Her Majesty, Jaylithia Imperatrix," her introduction began, "Empress of the Oceanic Empire, Mistress of Blades, Godkiller. Long may she reign."

Every soldier bowed their head. Jaylah gave a sidelong glance to the other officials waiting to speak. They were all bowing as well. No one could stand to look directly at her. She was the sun.

What about being the most formidable Empress this world has ever seen?

Jaylah wanted that so badly it made her bones ache. After what had been done to her, she deserved it. The stars had given her a second chance to achieve that dream after she saved her people from the full explosion of Draven's power. It was time she put that second chance to good use.

Her vision flashed white with the realization that she would have to continue to give and give and give even though she had nothing left. I will do anything, I will do anything.

When Jaylah looked down at her soldiers, all bowing like obedient children, she knew it was real. But...just because it was real did not mean it would last forever; her father had been right when he claimed that she had moved herself up to the number one living target of the known world, of all its leaders and those who slunk in the shadows alike. She only had to make sure it did last forever. They hated her because they were scared. It was a great amount of power, but it was not enough. Not yet.

"Kneel," she said.

No one hesitated to drop their knees to the floor, all inclining their heads in her direction as if she was a god they worshipped. They would have to stay there until she gave the word to free them.

Luckily, she was a kind ruler.

Still, despite the hundred thousand people kneeling just for her, Jaylah found her eyes wandering. Not to any confidants; she had none left. Everyone on the balcony stood at a four meter radius from her. Her gaze had returned to the horizon, where she thought she saw a pitiful wisp of smoke being carried from all the way across the ocean.

It was not enough.

When she breathed in, she could already smell the blood.

THE END