♕ 1 | 5 | 6 ♕

Act 4 Chapter 156JAYLAH

Act 4 Chapter 156
JAYLAH

The agony was eternal.

It was the first thing Jaylah was aware of—the pain roving underneath her skin. It felt as if she had shattered everything in her body, and now she was nothing but a fleshy sack of bone dust. This was not the half-baked torment of a dream anymore.

She pried her eyelids open. Brightness shone in. She immediately closed them again, but it was no use. She would not fall back into that blessedly deep slumber.

Voices rose around her ears. Speaking to her, urging her to do things. That was nothing new. At a cool touch to her forehead. She nearly jumped. Squinting her eyes against the bright light, she took in her surroundings. There were at least four physicians standing above her, joined by several relieved nurses. So they were not only living in Jaylah's head.

"—Majesty." The female physician waved her hand gently in front of Jaylah's eyes. "Your Majesty, can you hear me?"

Instead of wasting her energy on answering, Jaylah tried to sit up. Two of the nurses jerked forward to stop her, but she shook them off and pulled herself up with shaky, weak arms. Blinked again. What had happened to her? The last thing she recalled in complete detail was entering the temple on the hill—

The crown. She remembered that there was a crown and that it was her salvation. Though she was not quite sure why, her hands flew to her head. Her fingertips only met smooth hair and bandages.

"Where is it," she demanded to know, her voice barely working. "Where is the black crown." She was unsure why, but she needed it.

"Crown?" The physician's dark brows pulled low. "You did not have a crown when they pulled you from the rubble."

"I need it." She pulled herself to sit up all the way. If that thing was her salvation and she did not have it, she was doomed.

Another physician's hand shot forward to stabilize her. "Wait—relax, Your Majesty. You have suffered immense trauma to every part of your body. You have been unconscious for sixteen days straight, and now that you have only just woken up—"

Sixteen days. "What happened? I know I got past that army of devils, but after that..."

"We still do not understand the full scope of the situation," he admitted. "All we know is that...there was a blast of—of something like a wave of lightning. It was a natural disaster on a scale no one has ever witnessed before." He looked as though he was going to say more, but his eyes flicked sideways to meet the eyes of a nurse who was shaking her head ever so slightly.

"What?" If they had pulled her from the rubble of that temple, it meant that blast had been strong enough to completely crush it. What else had it destroyed? Where had it come from? "What happened?"