♕ 1 | 2 | 4 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 124ALEXANDER

Act 3 Chapter 124
ALEXANDER

"You look different," was the only thing Adelié said as Alexander approached.

"In a good way?"

She gestured to his head as he sat at the fountain's edge beside her. "Your hair's longer. And you seem...muted. Like something is gnawing away at you."

"This is the first time we're seeing each other in months and you're calling me unattractive?"

Her eyes went flat. "Jaylah was right when she said you're awfully conceited."

"Only when it most vexes you." He leaned down to touch the fountain's rippling water. "I'm not the only changed one. Tell me about what I missed since we've been apart."

"You are asking me? You are here to kill the Empress. The Czar is a homicidal maniac. And Jaylah is getting married. It seems you are living infinitely more interesting lives here." Despite the fact that they were alone in the chamber, she leaned in. "Say, I haven't met this enigmatic Adrik Morokov yet. Have you?"

"Oh, have I ever."

There was a crease between her brows. "He is not good for Jaylah, then?"

"I didn't say that."

"You didn't not say it."

"Stop it. You're confusing me." He shook his head. "I don't like Morokov because he's pretentious and irritating, but why would I care if she chooses to spend time with him?"

Adelié gave a meaningful tilt of her head. "She's choosing to spend her life with him. You are alright with that?"

"I think you're looking too deep into it," he told her, smiling. "If she's happy, I'm glad for her."

Adelié narrowed her eyes, her squinted lashes making them look even blacker. She waited like that for a long time.

He stared back with equal fervor until it occurred to him that she never answered his question. "Don't bore me like this. I know you don't like to talk about yourself, but there has to be something interesting that's happened to you."

She shrugged. "The lack of interesting things was what drove us here. I apologize for not having any monster slaying stories."

"Alright." He racked his brain. "What about the romantic aspect of your life? Any new revelations?"

"No," she hissed, a bit too drawn out.

"Ha!" He jabbed his finger in her face. "I knew it, you deceiver. Out with it: who are they?"