♕ 8 | 6 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 86JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 86
JAYLAH

"So," Ermalai said over breakfast the next day, "It is certainly a surprise that your childhood tutor survived the unfortunate massacre, isn't it, Jaylah?"

Adrik's fork clanked against his plate and Jaylah knew he was listening carefully without raising his eyes from his food. "Yes," she answered. "Though very lucky."

Nodding, he said, "Family is important."

Gods. She could never be sure what he suspected and what was just a ploy to seek power over her. Still, she said calmly, "I am very glad to have a future father-in-law with that mindset. After all, I will be your family soon enough."

He put his chin in a hand. "Tell me of your Klymene Lykaios."

Slowly, Jaylah put down her spoon. "She was my mother's first choice for my sister and me; she was highly educated in Naxaros University before my father shut it down. And she is very kind, as I am sure you noticed the other day when you were introduced."

"I got that impression as well. But she strikes me as someone with much more under the surface than she lets on."

Ah, he was trying to feel out just how close they were, how much sway her schemes had over Jaylah. "Is not every intellectual person that way? There is a Raphail quote that says: A man must only remove his mask once for his enemies to memorize his face."

"Raphail. She taught you that?"

"She taught me everything I know." She left it at that, allowing him to wonder whether she had information he desired. And if he did, he would have to leverage what Jaylah wanted. That was, if his ego would allow him to.

"Well, you are welcome to bring her to the discussion tonight."

Jaylah remembered no invitation for any such meeting. "I am sorry to say I will have to decline your invitation for the both of us. Another affair suddenly presented itself."

"It was meant to be for the both of our groups to become acquainted and begin plans for the wedding," Ermalai said with cadence that dragged enough to make her think he was attempting to make her look bad.

"You have my apologies. But there are things I must tend to in my own home first."

Jaylah could see on Adrik's face that he wished she would be there, but he said, "We will decide another date then," before his father could swoop in once more.

"Indeed," Ermalai said finally, though Jaylah thought he was going to say something much more forceful. "I will not stand in the way of your duties this time. Enjoy your night."

Jaylah daintily finished my last bite of melon. "I will."

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕