♕ 1 | 2 | 7 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 127ALEXANDER

Act 3 Chapter 127
ALEXANDER

"I am surprised to see you so soon," Sonia said as she allowed him into her quarters. "In a good way, of course."

Alexander sat. "Why? You're not exactly a terrible person to share time with."

"Well...you did not seem to be very optimistic in our last talk."

"You think I am now? Do not fear; I'm just as cynical as ever." She was looking at him with those impossibly kind eyes, so he felt bad enough to add, "I figure I should at least try to overcome this specific problem, even if it doesn't work out. Things cannot possibly get any worse."

She nodded, the tips of her braids brushing her lap. "You owe it to yourself."

"I guess..." He looked down to realize he was already bouncing his knee. "I just don't know how to start. Whenever I think about fixing myself, I have to think about...it. And I can't stand it."

She cocked her head. "What do you feel when your mind goes to that place?"

Well, shit. This was exactly what he did not want to think about.

"I guess I just feel...small. That doesn't begin to encapsulate the weight of it." He could be the biggest, strongest man in any room, but if he wasn't constantly on his guard, there always existed the possibility of it happening again. "It's as if his hands are still caught around my throat, my face, just...everywhere."

She made a sound in the back of her throat. The silence pushed on for a moment. "It's stupid," he said, quick to clarify. "I know they're not real but I feel them regardless."

"It's not stupid. It's what you feel. Hm." She tilted her head to look into the distance in thought. "I remember one thing that helped me not be so consumed by anguish was the knowledge that my body is my own. It may have been used against my will in the past, but it is mine, and I have sole power over it now." She wiggled her fingers to prove her point. "I also recall bathing a lot after it occurred. Something about the water running over my skin helped it feel less dirty, less violated. Even if for only a few moments. It was as if his handprints were washed away from me."

"Okay." He nodded more as he found the idea appealing. "Okay, I can do that."

She smiled. "You can. I believe in you."

Alexander got to his feet. "You might be my favorite person, Sonia. But don't tell anyone I'm actually this sentimental or I'll break your kneecaps."

"Your shameful secret is safe with me," she said, but he caught the dusting of pink across her cheeks before she ducked her head down.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

Alexander and Ermalai stood side by side at the front entrance awaiting the red-coated men marching across the lengthy bridge. Adrik was at his father's other side, and by the looks of it, he was not pleased with this development. Still, he never went against his father. If Alexander was him, he would have socked Ermalai in the face. Then again, if Alexander was Adrik, he would have done a lot of things differently.