♕ 9 | 3 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 93JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 93
JAYLAH

It had just finished raining. Seeing the sky had begun to clear from the tropical storm that gripped the city for a day and a half, Adrik expressed his desire to accompany Jaylah outside.

Her lip curled. "We are meant to be discussing wedding plans. Your father will not be pleased if we are late."

"He'll survive. Humor me. We do not have grounds like this at home."

Jaylah shrugged. "If your father is upset, I will tell him this was your idea."

A snort blew from Adrik's nose. "He's more infatuated with our marriage than we are."

"He is eager to enter an official time of peace." As she said it, Jaylah watched the Czarevich's expression to find whether he suspected his father's motives were less than respectable. She was still not sure how close their relationship was or how many of Ermalai's schemes Adrik condoned.

Together, with their train of soldiers eternally following at a respectful distance, they ventured outside and passed under a series of vine-ridden archways. "At our wedding, I want to have a cake taller than me," Adrik said, his face flashing in and out of the hazy sunlight. "What about you?"

"I want to have a dress so extravagant it becomes a thing of legend."

"Not too extravagant, I hope, or you'll make me look like a heathen dressed in rags next to you."

"Do I not already?"

"Ouch."

"If you are feeling especially generous, you may dress down to make me appear even more beautiful by comparison."

"Then the legend will become about how slovenly the fiancé of the beautiful bride was," he complained. They entered back inside through a hall that would end near the gardens.

"It can be your wedding gift to me." The air was already becoming fresher than that of the stuffy palace.

"Fine. But you have to get me a disgustingly luxurious one in return."

"I am already giving you my hand in marriage. I think that should be more than enough compensation, Czarevich."

"Only that?" He swung his hands a little as he walked. "Perhaps I should rethink this engagement."

It was moments like this in which Jaylah thought it might be possible that she could enjoy a marriage to Adrik Morokov. She would never be in love with him, but it would not be a loveless marriage. So far, he had been nothing but kind and attentive to her emotions. So far. Still, he'd expressed annoyance toward his father already. Though he might not fight for her in the overarching war, he was clearly on Jaylah's side for this battle.