♕ 1 | 0 | 2 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 102ALEXANDER

Act 2 Chapter 102
ALEXANDER

As Alexander was following his comrades out of the room, he purposely bumped his shoulder with Jaylah's. He heard her whip around to see who'd disrespected her so blatantly, but he didn't give her a second glance. Hopefully she took it as an invitation to meet him tonight and not just as a slight. Though both would be nice.

When night came, he waited half an hour for her within those dark walls, tapping his foot on the ground. He was nearly at his wit's end when Jaylah finally did arrive, the glow of her candle announcing her presence. She stuck it in the candleholder beside his.

When she turned back, brushing her hands on her skirts, she gave Alexander a once-over, head to feet. Then back up again. "Your face looks terrible."

"As usual, you are liberal with compliments."

"Your lip appears to be split right open."

Alexander smiled, which hurt his face. "Stop looking at my lips, dear Empress."

"I would like to know the name of the man that gave it to you. I feel he deserves a handshake."

"It was Tripolou. Good thing you're not squeamish, because you'd be shaking hands with a corpse."

"Ah, yes." She shifted her weight to put a fist on her hip. "I did hear about your little fiasco in Asklapolis. Particularly how a very large alcohol distillery was blown right off the map and will take months to rebuild."

"I regret not bringing any bottles back with me. Judging by that pinched look on your face, you could use some."

"So Tripolou is dead? He was with others, I presume."

"A whole cart full of them. Only I took a page out of your book and now they're burnt to ash."

Her mouth tightened as she suppressed whatever stinging insult he knew was on her tongue. "Was that all you wished to tell me?"

"I did find something else," he admitted. The revolver. "But I'm not sure I trust you with it yet. Perhaps if you're good I'll show it to you."

"If I am good? What am I, your prized hound?"

"Ermalai did call you a bitch."

He did not expect her to breathe a laugh out her nose, but she did. "Really? What else did he say?"

"Here. I'll give you an exact reenactment." Alexander slapped his hands down to shake Jaylah's shoulders, and she shockingly did not elbow him off. "My bitch of a future daughter stole the Southern Isles from me! We must kill her! And did I mention how much of a bitch she is?" He released her and leaned back on the wall. "That's precisely how it went."

When Alexander looked at her again—now at a safe distance—she was smiling and the black of her eyes shone with a strange light. Something uncomfortably warm was beginning to simmer low in his stomach. "Oh," he said, because it was the first thing he could think of, "I can see why you don't smile often. You look better that way."