♕ 8 | 3 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 83JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 83
JAYLAH

There was a knock on the door of the meeting room and Ermalai's advisor stood from where he had been
debating with Jaylah. "Your Majesty," the footman said, giving a hurried half-bow. He beckoned for her to follow him to the hallway, which meant this was news not suitable for a Navrikan to overhear. When they were alone, they began to stride together at the footman's lead. "A woman has arrived," he said in a hushed tone, just in case any Navrikans were eavesdropping. "Like you, we thought her to be dead. But she is here, alive as can be."

"Klymene Lykiaos," Jaylah guessed, trying not to sound hopeful.

"Yes, Your Majesty. She requested an audience with you, should you accept."

"I will." Jaylah attempted to curb her eagerness with cool serenity. "Take me to her."

They had led Klymene to a sitting room opposite the wing the Navrikans inhabited. It certainly would be riveting news that two victims of the Royal Massacre still lived and breathed. Depending on how they took this news, Jaylah wondered how they would take the news of the final survivor—an even less welcome face.

Klymene stood when she saw Jaylah. She took her in as if she would blow away on the wind if Jaylah moved too fast. She wore one of her high-necked peasant gowns, though it was a pleasant cut of fabric. Her skin was a few shades lighter than Jaylah's, offsetting the hazel of her eyes nicely—eyes that were simmering with sharp wit. Just by the way she carried herself, one could tell that she was wise in many areas. Born to pass down knowledge.

She did not offer Jaylah flowery words or curtsy. Instead, her gaze dropped to Adrik's ring on her finger.

"Leave us," Jaylah said without looking back.

Jaylah could not relax enough. Finally Klymene, her faithful tutor was there. Her presence was like a beacon of light on a stormy sea. Jaylah did not realize how troubled she was before until she realized that she now had two minds to work on my issues. She had saved Jaylah's life once. Perhaps she could do it again.

So Jaylah would not have to do it alone after all.

As Jaylah looked down at her, feeling more glad than she had in weeks, she recalled an early memory. Jaylah was perhaps seven or eight, though she already had an overinflated sense of self-worth. She distinctly remembered throwing a terrible fit because her mother claimed she was too young to accompany her father to one of his advisory sessions about the issues with Navrika. How ironic that she was in that same place over ten years later.

"You certainly are ambitious, look at you," said Klymene from above. The sunlight made the half of her hair that was down shine.