♕ 1 | 4 | 1 ♕

Act 4 Chapter 141JAYLAH

Act 4 Chapter 141
JAYLAH

"Here he is, Your Majesty," Jaylah's replacement High Attendant, Kostos, burst out, veins in his neck strained from his haste. He let go of the newcomer's arm. "Tell her. Tell her exactly what you told the dock workers."

A hand lifting to remove his wide-brimmed hat, the man's ruddy face disappeared as he bowed. "I was out for the day—I was in the northeast sea—and I saw a Kalingi scouting ship. The ram's eyes of Sargon on the hull and everything." He let out a wheezing breath. "They fired on us. We weren't meant to escape— The only reason they're not here yet is because they must have ships made slow by the weight of an army aboard. But..." Jaylah was shocked he had not passed out yet. "Best case scenario, they'll be here at nightfall."

So the second phase of attack had arrived. Jaylah stood. "Come with me."

Moments later, they were crammed into the largest war room in the military settlement in north Risya. The sailor pointed at a blank spot on the massive painted map. "There. I reckon they were there when I lost sight of them on the horizon."

"And you said you only saw the eye of Sargon on the port side of the ship." Admiral Athaniadis stroked his goatee. "They are angled northwest then. For Naxaros." He tipped his head. "They are giving their all to a single siege. Their numbers must be staggering, even after their first offensive."

"They have no shortage of people that want to subjugate us like savages," said the advisor to Jaylah's right. "They will be more confined in naval combat; if they have the numbers we think they have, they will have won once they reach land. Our army may be great, but with it so far-spread across the island..."

There are not enough men to hold off the onslaught. They all heard the hopeless realization.

"Reports show that as our men sweep the south to enforce the freeing of the Navrikans, many men and women are joining our own ranks. In a Kalingi victory, they know they will be destroyed with the rest of us." Jaylah held her chin high. "We only must hold our enemies off long enough to summon our ranks together again to defend the crippled coast."

"Then it is decided." Athaniadis unfolded his arms. "I will ready the men. We will set sail within the hour."

"Prepare them for a complete victory," Jaylah ordered, rolling up the map with the marks upon it. "Tell them I will wipe out the entire Kalingi navy in a single day without any Oceanic deaths." Only the last part was a lie.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

The deck was solid and steady under Jaylah's feet. It was a mellow day on the sea, blue as far as the eye could see. Other than the black smear of a hundred Kalingi warships, of course. Their white sails were like a poisonous fog rolling over the ocean.

Her men's horror was palpable. She had gone into her cabin to be with her advisors while Admiral Athaniadis was in the ship slightly ahead of hers. Her advisors were doubtful at best. Of course they were. The Kalingi were so numerous it was like the fight of a god against mortals, while Jaylah had only brought fifteen ships in total—nine of her new Bloodiron-reinforced warships and six older wooden ones. It was completely pathetic.