♕ 8 | 5 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 85JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 85
JAYLAH

After Saria was finished helping her out of her gown and cosmetics, Jaylah went back into the dressing room alone. She would need warmer clothing for the drafty passageways. Standing alone in her quarters, she quickly pulled on a pair of fitted pants and a loose blouse that buttoned down the front. Nowhere near the showiness of her dinner gown.

Jaylah grabbed the hilt of Zensa's dagger without giving it an extra thought. Then she stopped. It was a bit too fast of a decision. Thinking twice, she tucked it into the hilt on her belt. Knives were tricky—they could be one's enemy just as soon as they could be one's friend. Her own blade could very easily be turned to the one that killed her. But as far as she knew, Ermalai kept him on a loose leash, meaning he had access to weaponry. That was certainly purposeful.

The passage was just as cold and dark as Jaylah remembered, even with the candlelight warm in her hand. Being sure to make as little sound as possible within the dark cavern, she removed the chair stuck under the handle of the second door. When she creaked open the door, she half-expected him to jump out at her like a wild cat.

As Jaylah closed it behind her, the candle wax splashed over the ledge, running down the hidden door and pooling on the floor. Acting as a seal. If he found out about the second door and infiltrated her chambers while she was on the other end of the passage, she would have time to run the other way.

The world was silent and still as Jaylah ventured down closer to the entrance by the bust of Tilemachos. She did not fear that he would be unable to find what I hinted towards. He found it, she could sense it. He was there somewhere. There were only so many places to hide.

Even so, he seemed to be nowhere. Jaylah reached the entrance, even daring to open the door and check if he was waiting in the great hallway. Nothing. Growing fear was a constant in the back of her mind.

Jaylah turned back to return the long way to my quarters. Promptly after spilling the wax, she had checked the pathway to the right. It was empty as far as the eye could see. What did she do now? If he was watching, she could not go back to her chambers, or he would know the way in. But she could not leave out into the hallway with the painted ceiling, because there were no eyes there to ensure he would not kill her. Jaylah was trapped. Just as he wanted.

A sudden flicker behind her. Jaylah twisted, throwing the candlelight as far as she could. A small gasp forced its way out of her parted lips.

Just as she did, two slits of cold, biting pain were at her neck. A cool voice near her ear said, "You made a grave mistake."

A leering smile split Jaylah's face, all traces of her feigned fear dissipated. Of course he had only responded when the bait was her alone. Just as she wanted.

"Blades were always my specialty," Jaylah said.

He cut them in harder and she thought he was actually going to kill her then and there. Still, she did not back away against him. "You know I did not sell you out to the slavers. I do not know who did—my father, the unnamed assassin. But not me."