♕ 1 | 0 | 1 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 101ALEXANDER

Act 2 Chapter 101
ALEXANDER

Alexander pushed a hand to the door of the Czar's quarters. It swung open, revealing the old man's back was turned. "What did you call me for?" It was insolent, he knew. But the Czar never corrected him. Alexander was different from all his other men because he was not really sworn to anyone.

"Close and lock the door."

Brows knitting, Alexander did what he asked. He locked himself in with Ermalai with no witnesses or eavesdroppers to know what took place inside. If anything happened, no one would believe him. Just as it had always been.

Remaining in the threshold, he took in the way Ermalai hunched over the table, fists balled against the hard surface. "Did something happen?"

"Oh, yes." Ermalai's normal amicable tone had given way to something deeper and darker. Something that revealed his true insides. "Something happened."

He knew that kind of voice. It usually came right before a man became violent. "What was it?"

"That fucking Queen!" Ermalai banged his fists on the table.

"What cause would you have to be so angry with your own future daughter?" Hopefully it would quell this terrifying rage of his.

"My bitch of a future daughter took the Southern Isles. She is now an Empress."

Oh.... She was an Empress. Now this had taken an interesting turn.

Before Alexander could try to calm him or to think up a plan to turn this to Navrika's advantage, Ermalai whirled around. His eyes were crazed. "Someone sold me out."

Alexander's stomach bottomed out. He knew this might be the case, but he never thought Ermalai would expect him so quickly. Not after he murdered the High Priest for him or relayed his findings about Jaylah's spies.

"Come here, Khan."

His heart was suddenly hammering in his ears. Did Ermalai know? He couldn't tell. All he knew was that he'd been spotted publicly with Jaylah several times and that Ermalai guessed at their history. If he didn't already know all of it by now.

Ermalai was waiting, his form smaller than Alexander's, but he was brimming with barely concealed rage. He had to force himself away from the exit. One foot in front of the other, each step a difficulty. How could he submit to an angry man now knowing what happened the last time he did? His eyes dropped to the Czar's hands, clenched at his sides, and he imagined another man's harsh hands in their place. Shoving Alexander down. Touching him.

Alexander looked down at him, knowing everything he came here for would be ruined if he struck the Czar down. But he was willing to. Ermalai was fixated on his face as if he knew what frantic thoughts were rushing through his head. Alexander's face had not yet healed from the raid on the slavers, and although he explained it away with a story about a fight an Oceanic soldier picked with him, he knew Ermalai wanted more information about the incident that he would not give.