forty : nothing changes

Zacznij od początku

I took the clothes and right before I was going to close the door, I saw Autumn's brother walking in the corner. His eyes found mine and he sped up toward me. "Hey, you're Phraser, right? Have you seen my sister?" He shoved his hand into the pocket of his trouser and inclined his head to the left. "Everyone has been looking for her. The rehearsal started thirty minutes ago."

Honestly, I did not know what to say. I wanted to cover for Autumn by saying 'no' but it would not work if he saw that I was carrying her dress so all I could manage was, "I'll let her know."

His brow arched and he had that amused look on his face. "Yeah, thanks."

Two minutes of awkward silence. At this point in time, I would be more grateful if Autumn came out of the shower and saved me from her brother even though her brother would probably kill me afterward. "I don't think we have been introduced." I shifted the hangers to one hand and offered him my right hand. "I'm Phraser Ronan."

His eyes caught the movement and his lips turned into a flat line as he clasped his hand with mine. "Steven Summers."

I knew he saw it but I tried my best to act normal and offered him a smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"I would say the same if you aren't holding my sister's dress right now." Steven let out a small sigh and rubbed his face with one hand. "Anyway, tell Autumn to make it quick. Even our parents are looking for her. It's quite chaos but we really do need her downstairs."

I gave him the same answer. "I will let her know."

He nodded then turned around, walking towards the set of elevators. I was about to let out a sigh of relief when he suddenly paused and looked at me over his shoulder. "Don't hurt her or I swear I'll break your face."

Steven was shorter than me and I was bigger. If we were put into a fight, I would bet my money on myself, however, I had huge respect for him for what he had just said. He was the kind of guy who would stand up for his sister and although I clearly did not have a sister, I would do the same if I had one.

SUMMERS

I knew I was trying to buy myself some time as I stood in the shower and let the warm water run down my neck, back, and behind. Even after rubbing my skin multiple times, I was still able to feel his touch everywhere. And then those three words, I knew they would haunt me for the rest of the day or maybe even the week.

I love you.

They left a pang in my chest and I had no idea why. No, I did know why and I hated it. It was simple. I felt guilty because I could not say the same thing to him. There was an attraction between us, a great one that pulled us together like a magnetic force but I knew that it wasn't 'love'. Or was it?

"Damn!" I cursed under my breath. I honestly did not know what I was feeling. Maybe I should distance myself from him until I figured things out. It was the right thing to do. I should find out what I really felt about him before I started anything or worse, giving him false hope.

"Autumn!" The source of my confusion called out my name. "I got our clothes back. I'll put yours on the bed."

I closed my eyes and replied, "Okay!"

There was a short pause before I heard him again. "Um, your brother just came by. He said you should hurry up. The rehearsal has started and they need you downstairs."

"Shit!" If Steven knew that I was here, I was damn sure he would grill me later. "I'll be out in a minute!" I shouted back then shut off the faucets.

* * *

Oddly, Steven was nowhere to be found by the time I got downstairs. Not only him, but I also did not see Tyler either. His sister, Shanelle, found me and ran through all the things that I should be doing tomorrow which turned out to be easier and less complicated than what I had previously thought.

All I had to do was carry the bouquet of flowers and walked in front of the bride then danced during the party. Unlike what I had read on the internet, I did not have to pay for things, plan the bachelorette party, or give a speech -- which I was sucked at.

"Where's everyone though?" I asked Shanelle once she finished explaining. My eyes scanned the big ballroom but all I saw was the hotel staff cleaning and tidying up the mess left by partygoers.

Shanelle gave me a small smile. "They have left. Um, something happened."

I could sense something was wrong and felt stupid that it took me longer to notice that. Shanelle's pale, anxious face should have been a warning sign. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"Family drama." Shanelle rolled her eyes, letting out a deep, exasperating sigh. "My brother showed up and--" Her eyes shot past through my shoulder and her face turned paler. I glanced over and almost immediately knew why. Walking through the double doors with both hands inside the pocket of his hoodie was Tyler's best buddy, Lucas Buchanan, or known as Luke. He and Shanelle had quite some history two years ago. Since then, they had been avoiding each other. Well, she had been avoiding him while he had been trying to apologize and make up for what he had done.

"I have something to do." Shanelle shook her head and turned to me. "I, uh, I gotta go."

"Yeah, sure." I gave her a small nod. I could understand her feelings. It was never easy to face one's ex.

"Just text me if you have any questions," said Shanelle before turning around and walking towards the other exit. She ran as fast as her legs could carry her.

I kinda felt bad for her. It must be hard having a persistent ex but I could understand why Luke was being persistent too. After all, guilt was the worst feeling that could haunt everyone for the rest of their lives.

"Let me guess." Luke stopped beside me, sighing in frustration. "She ran after she told you that she has something to do, didn't she?"

Giving him what I hoped was a comforting smile, I shrugged and said, "Well, you can't blame her. Sometimes it is easier to run than to face it."

"Yeah, tell me about it." Luke ran his hand through his hair and sighed again. "So, how's New York? I have heard zero from Tyler so I take it that you guys are having too much fun there, huh? In a big city, away from nagging parents." He smirked at the last part, wiggling his eyebrows, and for a second, I saw the old Luke again. The fun, friendly, and happy Luke. The Luke when he still had Shanelle in his arms.

"Not really," I replied. If I was being honest, everything went downhill almost right after I stepped into New York City. Feeling like I wanted to be left from this question, I quickly made him the subject, "How about you?"

"Nothing has changed." Luke glanced at the door that Shanelle had gone through. I watched the look on his face, it was almost as if he was hoping she would walk through that door again and run into his arms. The longing and frustration were all over his face. At last, he dropped his eyes to the ground. "I am still chasing the same girl that got away."

* * * * * * * *

a/n: if you are wondering what on Earth Luke is talking about, pls read "The Blonde That Got Away" ;))