Sacrifices

For days, I couldn't sleep. Leah and Julianna stayed with their grandparents until I figured out a better way to cope.

I couldn't stop mourning her. Her scent haunted our bedroom. Random pieces of clothing she forgot to put away we're still in the place she'd left them.

She'd broken so many parts of me, she made me feel alive like I was a good person, but this time she broke my heart and my spirit.

I needed her to come back.

I heard a knock on the door before getting up from the couch.

I looked through the peephole to see Elliot standing with a worried look on his face.

I opened the doorbell, letting him in.

"How are you holding up, bro?" He asked in all seriousness.

"Not very well."

"Yeah, you look like shit. You know today's the day, Maliyah's home going."

"I'm not fucking going."

"Did you tell Maliyah's family that? Your mom said you're giving the eulogy."

"You need to be around people that care about you."

Your coworkers, friends, and family are all ready to see you with open arms."

"I can't," I argued.

"You can, and you will. The limousine will be here to pick you up at 9:00."

I glanced at the clock on the wall.

It was only 6:25, meaning I still had time to sulk.

Elliot got up and made his way to the front door.

"This will be the last time you'll have to say goodbye."

I finished the half-empty bottle of Jack Daniel's.

Getting up from my pigsty of a couch, I made my way to the shower.

The scolding water didn't phase me as it fell onto my skin. I wept at the sight of Maliyah's hair products and her vanilla-scented body wash before throwing it onto the tiled floor in a fit of rage.

Jack was in pain. The worst pain he'd ever felt. He reflected on the short time he spent with Maliyah as he showered in the lonesome shower in the empty house he'd purchase for them to grow as a family in. He fought with his inner self deciding whether he should go to the funeral or sulk in his misery. He knew this day would come. He was there when they picked the white gold plated casket with the matching white horse and carriage. He knew about the flower arrangements and even what church. Jack didn't know how he'd recover, but he knew he needed to be there.

I stepped out of the shower and into a bathrobe.

I hadn't gone into our bedroom since we left for the hospital, the atmosphere seemed to be different. The bed was made, just as she'd left it. Her brown cardigan hung on the bedpost.

I scavenged through my closet, trying to find one of my best suits to wear for her.

I came across a sleek white suit. It was brand new, still hanging in the plastic that I purchased it in. I remember buying it in Moscow, but I never needed to wear it until now.

I shaved my face, brushed my teeth, and styled my hair.

I checked my watch and sighed. I shuffled through my jewelry to find the diamond ring that I once slid upon her finger. I would have my last chance to slip it on her ring finger.

Now or never, I huffed while forcing myself to lock the door and step outside for the first time in days.

It was a little windy, but not too cold as the sun hid behind the dull clouds. I waited patiently for the white limousine. The driver got out of the car and held the door opened the door revealing our close family and friends. I was surprised to see Karmen sitting with her son next to Elliot.