Why Would You Do That?!

Phil is deaf in this so can I just clarify: I don't personally know anyone who is deaf. If any of this is offensive or inaccurate please tell me. I won't get angry/upset; if anything, I'll be relieved you helped me!

Phil glanced down at his wrist, sighing as his eyes laid upon his bare wrist. His big brother poked his side, signing 'your soulmate is out there'. Phil shook his head: it wasn't that he was worried about.

They lived in a universe where each person had a set soulmate and the first sentence you'd hear your partner say was engraved in your wrist forever. Phil had a fairly unique problem- he was deaf. That meant he'd never hear his soulmate's beautiful voice- or anyone's at all. He was terrified that he'd interact with his soulmate and never know. He couldn't hear so how was he supposed to know which person was the one? He wouldn't. He never would. He was going to end up alone.

-

Phil silently walked into a Starbucks beside his brother. Public places made the younger boy really anxious, considering he wouldn't be able to hear any danger or even talk to anyone. 'What do you want?' Martyn signed, making Phil sigh and point at a large sign that advertised the classic pumpkin spice latte.

Phil reluctantly left his brother as he ordered, walking over to an empty table. Before he could take a seat, another boy had sat down with his drink. The other noticed Phil's quiet presence and his lips started to move. Phil squinted but the boy was talking way too fast for him to read his lips. Martyn, like a literal superhero, swooped in and saved the day. He talked to the stranger whose eyes apologetically widened.

'I'm sorry.' The stranger then signed, making Phil grin.

He eagerly replied, 'It's okay. You didn't know.'

'My little brother is deaf too so I know sign language.'

'I'm sorry.'

'It's okay. He's happy enough. My name is Dan by the way.'

'Phil.'

Martyn then placed the drinks down on the table, deciding to join Dan. Phil could really have used a new friend.

In all honesty, by the time the drinks had been finished, Martyn felt like a third wheel. He felt rude watching their conversation but he couldn't leave Phil with a stranger- no matter how sweet he seemed.

They eventually had to part ways but not without exchanging phone numbers.

-

Dan: Hey ^-^

Phil: Hiiii

Dan: How are you?

Phil: I'm pretty good, you?

Dan: I'm okay.

They talked almost every second of the day- except when they had to sleep of course. Martyn loved the way Phil grinned and blushed whenever his phone lit up. He had never seen his brother so happy.

"Martyn?" Phil said aloud to get the other's attention. He wasn't a fan of talking too much, slightly paranoid his voice was too high or stupid sounding. Martyn had tried to assure him his voice was fine and nothing abnormal but Phil didn't listen to him. 'Can I go meet Dan?'

Martyn shook his head. 'Mum wouldn't let me leave you.'

'I'm not a child.'

'Phil, we want you to be safe... He can come here though?' Phil nodded, typing away on his phone again.