Hot Chocolate

I wrote this because I went to a coffee shop last week and a really nice old lady told us that we were sitting where she usually sat as we left. It made me wonder why she would have such a specific seat. Maybe she just liked it because it had the best view but maybe there was another reason...

TW: MAJOR CHARACTER DEATH

"I love you so much." Dan almost flinched at the words. They made him want to stand up and shout. They may be happy now but that doesn't mean that they will be in the future. Nothing was secure.

"I love you too."

Dan looked across the table at the empty seat and his stomach lurched. The empty seat used to always be filled with his boyfriend; the one he loved. Every Friday, they would visit the same coffee shop, at the same time, buy the same drinks and sit in the same place. It was a routine. A routine until he was suddenly gone.

"Here is your hot chocolate, Sir." A barista said, placing the steaming hot drink in front of Dan who just glanced at it.

Dan always got a hot chocolate; his boyfriend a latte. "Thanks." Dan mumbled, trying his hardest to fight off the memories tearing through his brain.

He stared across at the couple who were smiling and sharing tiny kisses. It just made him sad. It was like a bullet, cutting straight through his heart as he slowly bled out. He felt every bit of it. He reached out, lifting up the drink and bringing it to his dry lips. The hot liquid travelled down his throat and he barely even noticed how scorching hot it was.

-

Dan finished his last sip and placed the cup back down on the table. The couple had long gone and he was now staring at the wall, no expression on his face.

Around ten minutes later, a waitress walked over to him and cleared her throat. "Buy another drink or leave." She simply said.

Dan stood up, took one last glance at the empty seat and left.

-

"Dan-" His mum started to say as he walked into his house. Dan shook his head, slamming the door and storming up to his room. He then slammed his bedroom door and collapsed onto his bed, tears stinging his eyes.

He stared across the room at the pictures taped on his wall and let out a loud sob.

One picture was of them together, holding hands and grinning. That day they were out on a picnic together and it was probably Dan's favourite date.

Rip. Dan pulled it off the wall, tearing it in half. He let out a loud wail as both pieces of paper drifted to the ground.

"Dan!" Dan's mum yelled, bursting into Dan's room to see her son having a break down. She ran forward, taking him into her arms. He then started to wail.. louder than ever. "It's okay, it's okay..." His mum tried to comfort but she went unheard due to Dan's cries.

-

'In memory of Phil Lester.'

Dan took a sip of his hot chocolate, not wanting to believe what he was seeing. He felt the lettering with the hand that wasn't holding his drink and, sure enough, it was real. Dan glanced at his usual seat before sitting down. He looked down at his lap, placing his fist on the table as he closed his eyes and ignored the tears.

He felt something touch his hand so his eyes snapped open. A pale hand was on his and, when he managed to force himself to look up, he saw crystal blue eyes that he wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to. "Stay strong." The person mumbled before fading into nothing.

Dan stood up and ran. The almost full cup of drink was left to go cold.

Dan was sobbing again by the time he got home.

Eh I could have made this better but oh well

How has your week been so far?

Eh.. it started off okay