Care To Dance?

I learn against the wall, my arms folded as I glanced around the room. Every single part of me regretted coming to the dance as, within a few minutes of arriving, my friends has already ditched me. I could see Mark and Jack dancing together- or well, Jack was dancing and Mark was laughing at him. Ethan and Tyler were by the food, talking to each other. I could have gone over to talk to them but I'd just make them feel uncomfortable as I became a third wheel. I didn't want to ruin their night.

I let out a gentle sigh as I listened to the blaring music. It wasn't even anything good- just some mainstream pop music I didn't care for. My mind began to drift as I entered another world. I daydreamed about everything I could have been doing, had I not accepted the invite to come to the stupid dance. I could have been at home, finishing Night In The Woods on my PlayStation or finishing the first season of Supernatural that I had started a long time ago but had never got around to finishing.

"Dan, right?" I heard someone say so my eyes snapped open. A tall boy was standing about a metre away from me. He was wearing a suit and tie and, I had to admit, he looked pretty... attractive. I recognised him to be Phil, a boy I had seen around school quite a lot. He even sat behind me in English but we had never talked for any longer than a few seconds (much to my dismay as I may have had a tiny little crush on him).

Realising I had been too busy staring to muster up a response, I nodded.

"You look lonely."

"Because I am." Silence lapsed between us; even the music had faded slightly. Phil let out a gentle- and adorable- laugh, holding out his hand.

"Care to dance?" I blushed a bright red but hoped he couldn't see in the badly lit room. I couldn't really reply, unsure of whether he was genuinely asking me to dance. There were many other- much more beautiful- people at the dance. I was the most awkward, unattractive person in the room by far. "We're both lonely so it only makes sense, right?"

"Sure." I mumbled, hesitantly taking his hand. It was surprisingly warm and soft. He pulled me closer, wrapping his arms around my waist. I blushed even more, my stomach doing unfamiliar backflips as I moved my arms around his neck. The music wasn't even slow but we swayed as if it was. In all honesty, everything did seem to move in slow motion with us.

Phil stepped forward so our chests were touching, making eye contact. I diverted my gaze down to our feet. Unexpectedly, he moved his hands to my rose-y cheeks, attaching our lips. The world faded away around us and, despite the room being filled with people, it felt like it was just us.

We pulled back and I could have sworn his cheeks were slightly red too. Maybe it was just the lighting. "Dan, I really like you."

"You do?" I squeaked.

"Yeah... do you want to- I don't know- be my boyfriend?"

"Okay." I mumbled quietly. I was physically very composed but, in my head, I was screaming. He connected our lips again and it was better that time as were slightly more confident.

Never in a million years did I expect the night would end like that.

PlOt TwIsT iT wAs AlL a DrEaM

But like real life doesn't work like this. If it did, I'd have a significant other by now because I look (and am) lonely allllll the time!