fifteen

Me and Rhys stay outside by the fire for a while before heading inside. We talk for a little about ourselves, getting to know eachother a bit. It's actually nice talking with him. I feel pretty comfortable being alone with him, and that's saying a lot. Especially because he is a guy. 

And that's never happened before.

I find out that he started University last year in Seattle. I didn't tell him I got accepted there, too because I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to go. It's not that I don't want to. It's always been where I wanted to go. But, things have changed and so have I. It's just a big commitment. I don't do well with long term commitments. 

We head inside after the fire completely dies out and it's just smoke. Rhys shows me to a guest bedroom where I can sleep, and for a moment I think he's going to stay, making me panic. Is Rhys the type of guy who tries to sleep with anything? He is a guy. What if he expects me to...

But my whole body relaxes when I see that he just came into the bedroom to grab himself a blanket. I assume it's for one of the guys who passed out on the couch. I mentally shake my head at them, remembering how much they drank.

Rhys tells me goodnight and closes the door behind him, leaving the room to me. I immediately crawl under the covers and turn off the lights. I let out a giant sigh, before letting a smile creep on my lips. Today was good. I had fun. It was exciting. Aside from the negative, I had so much more positive.

Brock, my self consciousness and insecurities don't seem to matter that much in this very moment.

I smile and slowly let myself get whisked away into a deep sleep.

*

The next morning I wake up early to the sun shining through open windows, letting a light but chilly breeze into the room. It's refreshing, awakening and calming all in one. For a moment I forget where I am and I have to lay there for a few moments, recalling yesterday's events. A smile forms on my face.

Rhys.

Oh, Theo. Why are you smiling like this? You're blushing!

I throw the blanket over my face and make a crazy face. I'm such a weirdo.

Yesterday was fun. Really fun. The most fun I have had in a long time. I touch my forehead and feel my newly-formed scar, making me giggle in recollection. Oh my gosh. That was so insane. Dad is going to freak!

I hear dishes clinking downstairs and I know the boys are awake. Or, at least Rhys should be. He wasn't drunk last night like Ashton and Nial were. I wonder how they are feeling this morning? They are probably still passed out on the couch. 

I throw the covers over and get out of bed. The floor is cold to my feet and I look around the floor for my socks that I took off last night. I find them under the bed and put them on before running into the bathroom to freshen up. I look in the mirror and stare at my reflection. I don't look that bad. I didn't have any make up on yesterday so I don't have anything smeared on my face or anything. My hair, on the other hand, is a wild mane. It's tousled into natural, tangled waves that flows past my chest. My hair is so long now. I've always cut it when I was in high school. The past two years I was gone is when I stopped doing that. I'm glad I did. I look closer into the mirror and notice new freckles that have appeared on my nose. Not to mention, my whole face is a lot tanner. I got more than enough sun yesterday.

After scavenging through every cupboard for mouthwash, I grab my sweater from the room and head downstairs. Just as I suspected, Rhys is standing in the kitchen cooking something over a frying pan. He is wearing sweats that hang off his hips in a way that makes my cheeks blush and I have to look away. At least he's wearing a shirt.