21. japanese denim

Start from the beginning

  ➵ ➵ ➵  

This whole time, she had thought Kim Taehyung was a glitch simply because his parents were glitches as well. Of course, through simply biology and genetics, he would be their glitch offspring. However, there was just something fishy about it. 

The day that Namjoon visited her, he had told her that he had a soulmate. It was a rare case for a couple who are glitches to have offspring that aren't glitches. It's such a difficult concept to grasp, but it was all starting to make sense.

Namjoon's parents had seen Taehyung at the adoption center, for his biological parents had put him up for adoption because he was simply a glitch. Taehyung's biological parents were perfect soulmates, and they couldn't accept the fact that Taehyung wasn't, thus, they had abandoned him. And out of love, Namjoon's parents adopted Taehyung right then and there.

Taehyung is a special person, he had told her over a cup of coffee. The two of them had lounged in her living room the whole afternoon talking about Taehyung. And when he found out he was adopted, he was shattered. He was so broken that he forgot how to love, that is, until he met Seolhyun, his soulmate. He had explained to her.

He's very open-minded, and he loves fully, he had added. Sometimes she would wonder if Taehyung truly loved her, even if his heart didn't belong to her. She would wonder if all the words he had said to her were real, whether he meant them; whether they were lies. 

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted when a strike of thunder rumbles through the sky. She looks out the window to see the clouds start to darken and rain beginning to pour across the campus field. 

She sighs, opening her backpack to pull out her umbrella until someone had pushed past her, causing her to stumble forward. She looks up to see some of the jocks running out of the building with their bomber jackets shielding them from the rain. She clicks her tongue, but she squints her eyes to see a familiar figure strolling down the sidewalk.

Shaking her head, she takes a step out of the building with her yellow umbrella and starts heading towards the figure who doesn't seem to mind being drenched in the rain.

"Just, please. Look after him. For me. For him." 

  ➵ ➵➵ 

[ KIM TAEHYUNG ]

There's no one above up above,
forever's a long time, yes.

It took me a while to notice that the rain had stopped. Glancing up to look at the clouds, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion when I see a  yellow umbrella shielding me from the rain. I slowly glance towards my right to see her.

"Just keep walking." She mutters, not even sparing me a glance.

I'm at a loss for words, but all I could do is obey. As I glance at her every now and then, I yearn for her to look back at me but she never does. As my eyes trail down to her hand holding the umbrella, I itch to grab them and make them warm. 

"Your brother told me to look after you," she says blankly, "it just so happened to start raining and you decided to be a stubborn idiot and not bring an umbrella."

"You don't need to look after me. You should look after yourself first." I say softly and she scoffs. She still doesn't budge to look at me.

"I think you should say that to yourself. You're going to catch a cold soon because you're soaked in the rain." She shakes her head.

"Namjoon told you to look after me?"

She nods her head. "I'm doing this for Namjoon. Not for you, got it?"

"You really want to forget about what happened between us, don't you?" I frown and she shrugs her shoulders. I let my frown settle even more.

"This is not something we should talk about Taehyung. What we had was wrong." She chuckles bitterly, "besides, would my answer even matter to you?"

I stop abruptly and she turns to look at me confusedly. 

"You could think that whatever we had was wrong. But if I didn't think or feel that everything we had together was wrong, then what do you think I felt about you? If I felt things far from wrong, does it truly mean that what we had—what I had with you, was wrong?"

"Taehyung—"

"I don't need you looking after me. Besides, it's wrong for you to do, right?"

I sigh while beginning to walk away from her, letting the rain pour back onto my drenched clothes. From afar, I could hear her calling out for me, but all I could do is drown out her voice and swallow the bitterness that I was beginning to taste.