Chapter 44

Chapter 44

January 25, 2025

One day last month I woke up extremely happy, happiest I have been since I started therapy. I went downstairs where I found Shane and Dawson eating home-cooked breakfast. I couldn't help myself, I kissed Shane passionately. It felt so right to be able to kiss him, showing him how much I cared for him and appreciated what he has done for me. The fact that he was willing to wait and care for me while I was healing made me feel a stronger pull to him. His personality and actions allowed my feelings to grow, in my broken mind, I was pushing those feelings away. I kept telling myself that I was destined to be with Braxton because I had children with him. What was the point of being with him if he didn't truly care about them anyway?

Every now and then I get flashbacks of being with Braxton, the bad things he used to do to me. The nasty things he used to say to me, the heartbreaking things he used to do to me. I asked myself why I stayed with it, I have spoken to my therapist about it on multiple occasions since it was the source of my issues. He clearly states how I was brainwashed by Braxton, a fact I am now willing to accept. I told Mr. Black how Braxton is alive and well, he didn't seem too shocked by my confession. I told him how is trying to win me back but the spark was no longer there. He assured me that it was normal despite everything we had been through together even if he the father of my children. Now that Shane is here with me, someone who stayed with me to make my life better, I didn't want Braxton. He changed since we were in high school. He spent some days drinking all day with friends or snorting cocaine in his office.

Every now and then, Braxton would take me out to dinner after my therapy session. After the fourth or fifth time it happened I realized something, he wasn't the man he used to be. I didn't feel the usual connection with him like I used to. I asked him some questions about our life together which I knew the answers to, I wanted to know if he ever lied which he did. I asked about how he treated me, what we had done together or if we were a happy family. Braxton lied about everything I asked. He says he treated me like royalty, we were happy and nothing bad ever happened. Clearly, he doesn't know about the flashbacks I have received in the last few months.

I am so used to being around Shane now, the man who treats me like a queen. He looked like Braxton in certain ways but that doesn't mean he is Braxton. These men are the complete opposite of each other, I believe I am falling for the better twin, Shane. The way he looked at me when I wasn't looking, it was like I was a piece of art to him. He never said horrible things to me or ever hurt me physically which I am completely thankful for.

Dawson appears to forget about his real father, he now calls Shane 'daddy.' They spend time together every day once Shane comes back from work. He makes an honest living, nothing illegal from what I am aware of. He doesn't smoke, drink or do any sort of drugs. Shane is the sweetest man I have ever met, his heart is of gold which is rare nowadays.

My life is better than it used to be, I am happy with the way my life is going. Braxton doesn't bother me as much anymore after I admitted how I no longer loved him. I was more than confused when he didn't flip out on me. He seemed to understand why I felt that way. My ex-husband knew about Shane, I don't understand how but he does. Braxton knows what Shane has done for me while he was dead. He appreciated what he has done and is happy that someone is watching over me.

Last time I saw Braxton was last week, one of the last time I was going to see him. He took me to dinner where I needed to tell him that whatever this was had to come to an end. I didn't want any more contact with him. I told him how Shane cared about me and it wasn't fair to him that I stayed in contact with my husband.

He sighed and nodded his head. "After being away from you for so long, I am able to see how you changed. You are no longer willing to be with me after the things I had done. I know you loved me for a long time, we have kids together, but I ruined you. I get that you want to be happy with the man who loves you. Jade, I do love you and I always will. I will always be in love with you. I know you don't love me like you used to, it breaks my heart more than anything to realize that. Yet, it was my fault for what I had done to our family. You deserve to enjoy your life, the opportunity I didn't give you while we were together. When you love someone, you need to let them go so they can grow as a person. I don't want to keep you from loving someone or having kids with Shane." I didn't cry after he stopped talking because too many tears were shed over the years, I had no more tears for him.

I told him I wanted a divorce and he accepted my request. The thing I have been wanting for years was now mine. I sit in the living room of my house, holding the divorce papers in front of me. I look up from the paper to watch Shane and Dawson play on the carpet in front of me. Tyler is sitting in Shane's lap while his brother and father play a video game. They didn't see me watching them, this view is something I always wanted with Braxton. Shane and I met for a reason, so I can love someone who loved me back. Someone I can grow old with, nobody would come after us for lost drug money or old gang feuds because that wasn't our life, that was Braxton's.

I leaned down, holding the paper and a pen. I stared up at my boys one more time before officially signing the paper. I am divorced. I felt a wave of relief run over my body. Braxton was apart of my old life, the man who showed me happiness and despair. I went through a marriage full of hate, drugs, and alcohol.

I was no longer the wife of a gang leader.

I was the woman who drowned her demons.

I was Jade.

THE END

Hey guys! I haven't updated this book in a long time but this is just a replacement. I love this ending 10 times better than the original. Jade grew as a person, she no longer loved the man who abused her.

At the same time, Braxton changes as well. He let her leave him because deep down he knew that it wasn't right of him to keep her tied down. He was her anchor and he saw that.

I hope everyone enjoyed the story!