Chapter 35

Chapter 35
August 16, 2024

I stared out into the park, keeping an eye on Dawson as he ran around with his kite. It was a beautiful warm day so I decided to take the boys out. The park was not very far from the house, it was within walking distance. Tyler laid on my lap as he played with my fingers. We were placed under a very large full grown tree that had a lot of shade.

It was nice to have the boys back, I was in pure hell without them. I had Shane but he wasn't really around and neither was Ashton. I was alone in a huge house.

Lately, I haven't been feeling so sad and depressed. The trips to the therapist on almost a regular day basis has been helping me. I was better than I was when I first started going. It made me realize how big of an idiot I was for staying with Braxton. Mr. Black said I just wanted love from someone and Braxton was the closest person at the time. Now I'm over him. Yes, it seems quick because it hasn't been a year or even 6 months but my hatred for him made it easier. Everyone says I deserved better and I, I'm human and don't deserve to be treated like a rag doll or a punching bag.

The only good thing about our toxic relationship was my 2 boys and it made me stronger. And no man should ever treat me like that again.

Dawson jumped around in the grass in front of me before falling backward, enjoying the feel of the grass. He giggled at himself before grabbing his kite and walking back to me. He placed the kite next to me neatly as he started rummaging through my bag to find food. His hands pulled out a small bottle of water and a container of grapes.

Dawson sat next to me and pointed at a group of boys playing football. "Mommy I want to play," he said excitedly. The boys seem to be in their teens.

"Grey I'm sorry but you are too little to play with them," I said. He frowned and started eating his grapes. I nudged him, "I can teach you how to play so you can play with those boys someday. You will be better than them." He smiled widely and nodded his head. Dawson was an energetic kid and it wouldn't be hard for him to play football.

After a few more hours of enjoying the park, we decided to go back home. The walk back was pleasant because there was a small breeze which I loved in the warm weather. I picked Tyler up from his stroller and closed it up before walking into the house. Dawson walked in after me and he sprinted to his room to change his clothes. I placed Tyler in his little playpen that was set up in the living room before going to my piano room. I walked in and the white wall was covered.

A large model of the painting Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh covered it. It was my favorite painting of all time. I looked around the room in astonishment, trying to find who did this. Shane leaned against the door way looking at me with a sly grin on his gorgeous face. He was wearing a clean button up shirt with a pair of jeans. There was a pair of glasses sitting on his face that I have never seen before. It suited his face very well, made him seem adorable and innocent.

I smiled wider and ran towards him, giving him a hug. "Thank you, Shane," I mumbled into his shirt. He leaned his head down to my head and kissed my forehead before saying, "you're welcome."

"Why did you do this?" I asked.

"You deserve to have a room to yourself that makes you happy. I know it's your favorite painting and it was a white wall so why not. Plus I have been kind of spending a lot of time here so I wanted to pay you back for it." He explained then leaned closer to my ear. "Also, it scores some points with you."

I didn't know what to say so I just chuckled softly. It was a thoughtful gift, I loved it. "I'm trying to say I like you, Jade. I do understand that you aren't looking for a relationship but I just wanted to tell you that." He added. I was about to say something but he cut me off. "Don't deny it or try to push me away because I'm not leaving anytime soon. Not until we give this a try. I know it won't be anytime soon because you aren't ready but I'm willing to wait."

I pulled away and looked up at him. "Why would you want to be with me? I am a mother of 2 kids. Would you want to take up that responsibility? Take care of them when I'm sick? Or take them to school every day? And to deal with my mental problems? I'm getting better but those mental scars will always stay there. Would you be ready for that?" I questioned him.

"If this a plan to get rid of me, it's not working. I love kids and wouldn't mind taking care of them especially your kids. They are quite adorable and I like them. Who do you think has been taking care of them the past month when you were at the therapist? I have been, I know that's not a lot but I'm trying to prove myself. I don't know why but I'm very drawn to you and am willing to do anything to be with you. And you are getting better so you can't use your 'mental issues' to keep me away. If I prove myself will you at least try to make it work?" He asked with hopeful eyes.

"I don't want to depend on someone because they always leave." I blurted out.

"I'm not going to leave unless you tell me to."

I nodded my head slowly. "I guess we can try. I'm not promising anything. I am saying we are going turtle speed, Shane."